HELP!! NEW TO INCUBATING

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tspowell, May 2, 2009.

1. tspowell

tspowell New Egg

May 2, 2009
    I have @60 eggs currently in the incubator, they are due on monday but when I checked this morning there was 1 egg with a hole peeped about a 1/4 inch dia. Through out the day several more also started to peep but the first one never got any bigger. After checking closer a beak was sticking out but was stuck to the shell and was dead. It has been about 12 hours and the others are still alive but the holes are not getting any bigger. What should I do? Thanks in advance!

2. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Whats your humidity at? It need to be high or else the chicks may stick. Sorry I can't be more help

3. tspowell

tspowell New Egg

May 2, 2009
    Last I checked was 66% but I took the guage out when the started to hatch for more room.

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Get your humidity up to 70%.

5. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    You can put a wet wash cloth or paper towel or clean, new sponge in to up it pretty quickly.

6. tspowell

tspowell New Egg

May 2, 2009
    Can the wet towel or etc. touch the eggs? I do not have much room in the incubator.

7. tspowell

tspowell New Egg

May 2, 2009
    Can the humity be too high as they hatch? I put in damp cloths and it is up to 88% and rising?

8. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    If you are worried, take the red plugs out and wait and watch. I think 88% may be to high.

9. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:66% was good. How are they doing this morning?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by