1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help... New to this

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ana2707, Oct 3, 2015.

1. ana2707

ana2707 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2015
    [​IMG]

2. ana2707

Oct 3, 2015
    Just found this in my coop this morning. Is this coccidosis or intestinal shedding? I have had my hens for a couple months now and haven't seen anything like this. I did just get chicks a couple weeks ago but they have not come in contact with my hens.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Anything that looks like dark red jelly as that does is usually blood. Coccidiosis may be the problem. Are you seeing any that look lethargic, hunched or puffed up, or not eating? Corid (amprollium, Ampromed) powder or liquid added to the water for 5 days is the best treatment for coccidiosis. If Corid can't be found, Sulmet may work. Wet weather can add to the risk. Here is a link to read: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

4. ana2707

Oct 3, 2015
    Thanks for your reply! Nothing different other than the feces. They are acting completely normal. I just finished cleaning out the coop and putting fresh straw in there so I will know if it happens again. I do want to mention I grabbed a different bag of feed yesterday, could that do this? Also, I called a vet and he thinks it's always a possibility I gave them too many tomato. I have them a full size tomato about 2 days ago. Do either one of these seem like they could be the culprit to you?

5. ana2707

Oct 3, 2015
    Sorry also* a possibility and too much tomato*, I was getting ahead of myself.... Worried about my girls [​IMG]

6. ana2707

Oct 3, 2015
    So I went out and checked on my hens a few minutes ago and didn't find any strange droppings but I did find a pretty pale looking egg...... What's going on with them? [​IMG][​IMG]

7. chickengr

chickengr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    pale eggs might be due to sunshine.

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

How will sunshine make eggs pale?

9. ana2707

Oct 3, 2015
    They have had a lack of sunshine. They free range when I'm home but they have been cooped up for a fairly good amount of time because it's been cold and rainy here for a good week, if not more. Do you think in any way this is related to the droppings I found this AM? Also, should I throw away the eggs in my stock or just the eggs I found with the wierd dropping??

10. chickengr

chickengr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    there is still no explanation for that but that is what happens. my red sex link are free roaming in the run and their summer eggs are tinted. their winter eggs are dark brown (getting darker these days).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by