HELP!!!!!!!!!! New to this

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Seemkay, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Seemkay

Seemkay New Egg

Nov 9, 2015
    I moved to North West Louisiana last year. On our property is a lovely, (what we think is Male) Gray Toulouse. So for almost a year now, he has been all alone. Neighbor had horses in our backyard and took them out. So...we found a White Toulouse online and picked her up yesterday. She was hatched this spring. It is now November. We got her home and after getting her out of the crate, and put her in a pen all fenced in without a roof, she flew out. We have seen her this morning and tried to approach her and she flew again.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to get her back? Our male hasn't really seen her yet, and we thought that if she saw him or he saw her, that would help keep her around.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd dif get him where she can see him this will probably help in keeping her around but your risking losing them both if you don't work hard at getting them at least safely penned and secured at night. She is disoriented and doesn't know where she is so having him where she can see him is your best bet now,. Then place food and water inside and try coaxing them both in so you can keep her safe while she is getting use to her new home.When we brought our young 4 month old Toulouse home she gravitated right too out gander so hopefully yours will too.

please let us know how this turns out. @Seemkay

3. Seemkay

Seemkay New Egg

Nov 9, 2015
    AAWWW thank you so much. Our Gray (Goosie) in my avatar, has been fending for himself for years, from what we are told. He belonged to the previous tenant that was there for over 10 years. They moved out 2+ years ago We are hoping Duckie (the new one) will adapt to Goosie's ways.
    We tried penning her, and that was when she flew off. I guess we could try again with putting the food in the penn area.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It's amazing he has lasted mine would be gone before the week is up we have tons of preds here. Only you can make the decision on whats best for your 2. Did she stick around and have they met yet? Put some bird netting over top of the pen but I wouldn't leave them in it over night with out secure housing in there too. That would be asking for something to get them and no escape. He's a beautiful goose

5. turtlesgalore

turtlesgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2015
    central Louisiana
    welcome to the site. great people and great advice here. very knowledgeable peeps here. I have geese but they can't fly. sorry I would place food out where they will find it. usually other birds will stay near if they know they can get regular meal. I'm in central Louisiana, good luck with the geese neighbor.

6. Lilfarmbrat

Lilfarmbrat Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2015
    Oregon
    I hope you are able to get her back and she sticks around.... I have raised ducks before and they would fly about 1/2 mile up the road to a friends house where her dogs kill a few of my ducks. I was told to clip one wing down so they will not fly I did and they stuck around for a few years, their feathers grew back and they flew off again and I never seen them again. :-( I guess my advise would be, if you can get her caught to clip one of her wings down, she will not go far. :)

7. NathanZee

NathanZee Chillin' With My Peeps

That is a beautiful goose! I think he is a cross between a african or chinese goose with a toulouse.

8. Seemkay

Seemkay New Egg

Nov 9, 2015
    Well UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!
    When I got home Monday afternoon, There she was sitting on the lawn about 10 feet from our Gray.
    Since then it seems she has settled down. The food suggestions were VERY helpful!

Last evening, she seems to be doing what young girls do! LOL She seemed to be calling to him to follow her to the pond. It's very cute to watch.

Hoping that she will let us get closer - its difficult right now. We both work all week. I try to get home about 1/2 hour before it starts getting dark.

Hoping to be "AROUND" her a bit more over the weekend.

Thanks! [​IMG]

(This is the new one, were calling her Duckie!)

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @Seemkay she is beautiful she looks like my Embden.. I am glad to hear she is settling in They both need a friend and sounds like they are on their way to becoming a pair..
    I just wish you could secure them at night that is when they are in the most danger. I know you said Goosie has been fending for him self for years but it only takes one time for all of that to change.

10. Seemkay

Seemkay New Egg

Nov 9, 2015
    Update!!!! I think were going to build or buy one of those floating (But anchored, platforms) that way they can be by themselves, and sleep out there in the middle of the pond.
    Maybe that would work. There isn't any way we can close them in together at night. Goosie would never be able to handle it. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by