Help! Newbie here!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ashley Mac, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Ashley Mac

Ashley Mac New Egg

Jun 20, 2016
    I have two, 2 year old Isa Browns. I have two Silver Wyandotte chicks and 2 Amercaunas that were born on 8/18. When do I introduce them to my older 2? I also have 10 Cornish rocs chicks that were born on 8/18 as well but I'm pretty comfortable with what I need to do with them. All the chick's are currently residing together. I'm trying to decide at what age the 4 layers need to be introduced to my Isa's. I will gladly accept any advice.

2. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    That is really a personal preference. I would wait until they're at least about half or more of the size of the isa's but usually I go by now they're acting when they see each other. I keep them separate for a time on either side of a fence or something so that they can see each other but can't fight or hurt one another. I usually introduce large fowl at between 8-12 weeks give or take.

3. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    What kind of temperament do your isa's have? That's the biggest factor. I know some people probably introduce them sooner and some later. Knowing my flock I know they are more accepting of juveniles rather than adult or nearly adult birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by