Help newbie here!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jennifermedford, Oct 17, 2016.

1. jennifermedford

jennifermedford Just Hatched

Oct 17, 2016
    I have a chicken coop that has plenty of nesting boxes for my girls but they aren't using them. They go in the house at night and I let them free range my 10 acres during the day. In the last few days I have found two nests one with 17 eggs and one with 5 eggs. I am going to restrict them to the coop to encourage them to go in the boxes, but my question is ...do I put those eggs I have found in the boxes to encourage them to go in there??

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Jennifer, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! I think you are doing the right thing by confining them to coop and run for a few days to show them the right place to lay. They need to make it a habit to lay in the nest boxes. If any at all are using the boxes in the coop you don't need further encouragement in terms of fake eggs. Just make sure the nest boxes are comfy with fresh straw or whatever you use for bedding. Also, I'd make the places where they had been laying outside uncomfortable - rake them up - whatever - so they aren't encouraged to return there to lay when you range them again. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

3. jennifermedford

Oct 17, 2016
    None of them are laying in there. The nest I have found are in my large flower pots on my deck if you can believe that! Do I use the eggs I found that they laid and put them in there as opposed to fake eggs?

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Not knowing how old the ones you're putting in would be, make sure you mark them so you don't inadvertently eat one later. [​IMG] Once they lay, toss the old and use the fresh ones as "decoys." Or don't bother with any of that and just use golf balls or the like.

5. jennifermedford

Oct 17, 2016
    Right! Was planning on marking them and just having them in there for a few days. ThAnks for the advice! You have been very kind[​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The problem with leaving eggs around is if they get broken, it can start an egg eating habit which is hard to break. If they peck a hard golf ball, they won't do that again. Glad you joined us at BYC.

1 person likes this.
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

I agree with drumstick diva - fake eggs are the way to go, no one likes egg eaters.

1 person likes this.
  9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, Jennifer, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I agree with Misha and diva, get fake eggs, do not use rotten old ones. Remember Charlotte's Web? Lol. I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have !

1 person likes this.
  10. jennifermedford

Oct 17, 2016
    Thanks everyone! Here is my update on my issue. Once I contained my girls to their coop and run they started laying in the nesting boxes. So for a while I guess they will not be able to free range. When I gave them freedom they would lot go in the coop or use the boxes. They slept on my deck rail(what a mess) and layed the eggs in my flower pots! Crazy girls but it looks like all is well if I keep them contained. I have 5 girls and a 7x7 coop and the run is 7x16. I feel they have plenty of room in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by