Help! Newbie here...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by andienella, Dec 22, 2012.

1. andienella

andienella New Egg

Dec 22, 2012
    Hi All! My name is Diane and I am new to the chicken community. I grew up on a farm with all kinds of livestock- but we never did have poultry. I recently inherited 3 hens and a rooster. This morning, my Silver-Spangled Hamburg rooster (Sprocket) had one eye crusted shut. I used warm water to loosen the crust, but didn't want to irritate it much further. I got on here and read that I could use Neosporin. I gently rubbed a little on his eye with a cotton ball. Came back to the computer to find what I should have in a chicken first aid kit and then read that you can't use the Neosporin with pain relief - which is what I had. I have only used it once on him; is that enough to hurt him? Someone here said it was toxic to chickens.

"worried"
    Diane

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] A one time use with limited amounts around an eye SHOULD not cause a problem. Just wipe off as much as is possible to remove.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  3. andienella

andienella New Egg

Dec 22, 2012
    Thank you, will do. I'm keeping close watch on him. Would a little human eye wash hurt to flush out the eye?

Diane

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I use human eye products on my dogs all of the time. One female has a chronic dry eye problem that requires frequent daily treatment with antibiotic drops interspersed with human lubricating eye drops. I know of no reason they would be harmful to chickens.

5. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Glad you joined. looks like sourland has you covered. Good luck with your chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by