Help!Newbie to hens has poorly chicken any advice greatly received!

helenmar

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 30, 2010
gainford,county durham
Hi on saturday morning when I opened the coop,2 of my 3 chickens (2xgirls and 1 boy) came out as usual.Posy however was just sat by the door.then she rolled out of the door and just lay in the mud panting. She seemed unable to walk and paralysed.My husband put her back in the coop but I brought her inside to keep an eye on her.She sat all saturday and would not move and at first we thought she may have broken something-(its been very windy and we wondered if she had been hit by flying debris on friday?)We felt her all over and nothing seems to be broken.She will eat and drink when offfered but does not seem interested in taking it on her own without being hand fed.On Sunday she was able to stand but still will not move from the spot.She again eats and drinks when hand fed but aagin no interest in getting food or water in her hospital tray.Today Monday I managed to get her to take one step and she is still eating and drinking when offered but thats all.Any ideas??? She is a Black silky about 6-7 months old (28-32wks)Any advice greatly appreciated.Iam keeping her inside until she shows signs of being able to walk and feed herself again .
hu.gif
im really worried about her.

I believe I have read here that silkies are prone to vitamin deficiencies you can give her some chickens vitamins in her water and get some electrolyte solution from the feed store to put in her water too. you can give her vit. B12 and vit. E, human vitamins, I got the powdered vit. B complex pill caps and pulled them apart and out the powder on a favorite treat, this treatment can help with leg paralysis if it is caused due to lack of nutrients, but in a younger hen it could be due to Marke's disease, a viral infection, you can look that up in the search engine, lots of info here. I have had an experience with an 16 mionth hen suddenly unable to stand/walk, gave her these vitamins, it took about two weeks, but she is fine now for over six months now.

Thank you.I have some Vionate vitamin powder,will put her straight on that and see what happens.She is now able to stand but just does not seem to want to move anywhere???Its very strange,but she is safe and eating and drinking so im hoping i can keep her alive until this passes.Thank you for replying.Its nice to have chicken minded people out there willing to help.

Great News! this morning she was walking around the 'hospital' room we had her in.As it was a lovely sunny day and the weather was nice and calm for a change I took her to the coop to see what happened.I sat with them for an hour and they all integrated fine again (despite her weekend away).She was a tiny bit wobbly at first but was soon scratching an preening again!God knows what on earth was wrong with her before as she was completely immobilised!I kept checking on her throughout the day and she was fine! Tonight all 3 were cuddled up in bed as if nothing had happened!Im sure I have gained some more grey hair with worry,but the main thing is Posy is OK!
Thank you for responding!
wee.gif
:weee:weee

Back
Top Bottom