1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Newborn chick struggling to dry off?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickenllady, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Chickenllady

Chickenllady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2014
    After having two of our Rhode Island Red and Red Sex Link Crosses Hatch, the third one finally hatched. It's eyes won't open and it can't move its legs; and its fuzz it crusted onto itself, and won't dry. What do I do? The broody hen won't sit on it, she's too focused on doing other things in her coop.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Is your hen not taking care of the chick? It needs some heat so put a heat lamp on it. Where are the other chicks?

3. FalconsNest

FalconsNest Just Hatched

Jun 16, 2016
    I would take all the chicks and care for them, I don't mean to be mean to the mother hen but a hen typically doesn't move from the nest until a day or two, when the chicks under her are strong enough to move, eat etc.
    As for the baby RIR, I'm sorry but I don't think she'll make it. By all means take the chicks and care for them yourself. Trust me I know all about it, and I understand how worried you are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by