Help, Newborn Duck Question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jbethlasanta, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Jbethlasanta

Jbethlasanta Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2015
    i have a duckling that hatched at 7 am. It's 430 pm and he is still on his side under the heat lamp and even though she's try to stand she looks like she has a dried wing stuck with ick stuck to her side.

I moved her out of the hatcher because he didnt look like she was drying at all in the 70% humidity. So now under the lamp in the brooder waiting for her to stand, but i just dont know. She is quacking and moving. I just thought sh'd be standing by now.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sometimes it takes a day for them to get their strength. Hatching is really hard work for a duckling. You might take a q-tip and warm water and see if you can get some of the guck off the wing. Easy does it!

1 person likes this.
  3. Jbethlasanta

Feb 19, 2015
    She's the only one to hatch so far and she looks so weak and lonely. i just want to pick her up and I'm not going to but she / he just looks... [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd like to see @Lacrystol give advise here since she has delt with icky stuff on ducklings. Hope you have seen improvement by now

5. Ashleyponygurl

Ashleyponygurl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2015
    I hope she makes it! Any updates?

6. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Oh boy, I missed this one since all my notifications got turned off. How's thos little duckie doing today??

7. Jbethlasanta

Feb 19, 2015
    She made it to day 3, started agonal breathing around noon and passed on at 9 pm. Only one to hatch successfully out of my second batch. The two other pipped externally, still had egg yolks attatched. I feel like I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what?

Sorry.

8. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    well lets figure this out, from day one to three days before lockdown, tell me what you did? What are your settings at temp/humidity, do you have a fan or no fan, were they on a turner etc.. tell me everything. LOL

9. Jbethlasanta

Feb 19, 2015
    I have 2 Little Giant, still air, incubators. Both were set to 100 degrees with humidity at 55%. We candeled every 3 days or so, because the first batch was a complete failure, as I said. The hatcher is a converted fish tank with a heat lamp, wet hay, and a butter container of water. None hatched on time and we were so in experienced tha we kept them for 1 extra week because they were still moving in their eggs. 4 pipped but she was the only one that hatched. She as splay legged and wasn't eating. We tried feeding her sugar water and she would drink it, but still died 4 days later.

a we have now added a usb fan, an aluminum partition, and a mason jar of water for humidity, so we have better contol over the humidity and temp dispersment.

10. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Are you spraying the eggs at all?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by