Help! Newly hatch pullet bubbling bottom and blood red cyst on oil duct

HeiHeisMom

Songster
Apr 13, 2018
Goliad, Texas
We have a black star pullet that first time momma kicked out of nest.
Baby had pasty butt and I cleaned her up but after mess off there was bubbly yolk water coming out her bottom.
I also noticed a blood red cyst on her bottom, where I believe the oil gland is...
Pics attached.
Any comments or suggestions?
She's all weak and sleepy...is she doing, or just very sick?
Thanks for your help!
IMG_20190512_192205.jpg
IMG_20190512_192228.jpg

azygous

Crossing the Road
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
The bottom closeup is fine as far as it goes, but there's no context to indicate what it's supposed to be showing. The oil gland isn't located on the bottom side of the chicken. It's on the back in front of the tail. So that red berry might be the umbilicus, which is on the belly just in front of the vent (where the poop comes from)

Do you think you can get some better pictures of the areas you are concerned about? The yellow stuff coming out of the vent, what you call the "bottom" I'm assuming, is concerning. I'd like to see a photo of that, too.

The fact the broody rejected this chick is a strong clue to its health status. However, broodies also can be fickle so it does not absolutely confirm the chick is sickly. I would put a little Neosporin on the red "berry".

I would fix up a heating pad for the chick, wrap the chick in a piece of flannel or fleece and place it on the heating pad or fold the heating pad like a taco with the chick inside. It's normal for chicks to sleep most of the first 24 hours after its strenuous hatch, but it should signal loudly if it's not warm enough. A newly hatched chick should have around 100F of direct heat, maybe medium on the heating pad. If the chick complains, turn it up to high. A quiet chick is a content chick.

HeiHeisMom

Songster
Apr 13, 2018
Goliad, Texas
The bottom closeup is fine as far as it goes, but there's no context to indicate what it's supposed to be showing. The oil gland isn't located on the bottom side of the chicken. It's on the back in front of the tail. So that red berry might be the umbilicus, which is on the belly just in front of the vent (where the poop comes from)

Do you think you can get some better pictures of the areas you are concerned about? The yellow stuff coming out of the vent, what you call the "bottom" I'm assuming, is concerning. I'd like to see a photo of that, too.

The fact the broody rejected this chick is a strong clue to its health status. However, broodies also can be fickle so it does not absolutely confirm the chick is sickly. I would put a little Neosporin on the red "berry".

I would fix up a heating pad for the chick, wrap the chick in a piece of flannel or fleece and place it on the heating pad or fold the heating pad like a taco with the chick inside. It's normal for chicks to sleep most of the first 24 hours after its strenuous hatch, but it should signal loudly if it's not warm enough. A newly hatched chick should have around 100F of direct heat, maybe medium on the heating pad. If the chick complains, turn it up to high. A quiet chick is a content chick.
She seems to be gasping.
The yellow was yolky poop caked up.
As I cleaned it some crumbled and fllaked on to her bottom.
She won't drink, although I did get a couple of drops of fresh water down her.
She's in a clean washcloth bed in the incubator.
I turned it on and put her inside to warm up. She's quiet and sleeping.
For now...

azygous

Crossing the Road
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
The gasping could be from stress. It's too soon to assume this chick is sick and won't survive. Next time you give it a drop or two of warm water, put a little sugar in it to raise its blood glucose.

HeiHeisMom

Songster
Apr 13, 2018
Goliad, Texas
The gasping could be from stress. It's too soon to assume this chick is sick and won't survive. Next time you give it a drop or two of warm water, put a little sugar in it to raise its blood glucose.
Thank you, but she passed away a little bit ago.
I've never seen a chick that weak before.
Brooder mom tossed her to the ground from a 4 for high nest box.

HeiHeisMom

Songster
Apr 13, 2018
Goliad, Texas
She was bleeding from nares and mouth when we found she had passed, so not sure if that's a post mortem thing or if it happened once she warmed up and that's what finished her time.
Love Chooks and babies break my heart when they die every though I know that's life... Getting soft in old age

Top Bottom