1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Newly Hatched Chick legs sticking straight out front.....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lockedhearts, Oct 1, 2008.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    My BR chicked hatched about 30 minutes ago and is "sitting" in the hatcher with it'slegs sticking straight out. Is this Spraddle leg? I googled it and it says they stick out to the side. I have to go to work and don't want to leave it helpless.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Im sorry I just saw this thread....you are probably at work already. I would say being it just hatched....maybe it will " find its legs" by the time you get home. I had a BR hatch like that....but I was able to be home with it...I just gave it a drop of polyvisol...and propped it up in the corner of the brooder. Made sure it was warm, but not too warm....and the water was nearby. After a few hours, it seemd to be doing better....wobbling around a bit. Later that evening, another drop of vitamin...and now...at 11 weeks old, I cant even tell which one it was. Good luck, I hope it is fine when you come home.

3. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I went ahead and taped its legs and booted its little curled toes. I will pick up some Poly Vi Sol after work, although it seems very strong except for the leg deal.
    I am hoping it will be ok. Honestly seems more like the ankles are not bending than anything. Thinking if not better tonight I may try to splint the ankles so the are bent properly and hope that it will be able to walk then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by