Help - Newly laying hen - egg binding?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sanebychicks, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Sanebychicks

Sanebychicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2010
    Colorful Colorado!
    My RIR has been successfully laying for about 1 wk, almost daily - today no egg but she is not acting right. She is lethargic, laying down alot, holding her back end feather up and just not herself. I suspect she has a stuck egg? They are free roaming, eat better than I do, so I don't think it is diet or exercise. I am thinking to put her in the coop with the lamp on to heat her up for a couple hours (with plenty of water) - good idea? Any advice - VERY appreciated!!!

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Can you feel a stuck egg?

3. Sanebychicks

Sanebychicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2010
    Colorful Colorado!
    I ended up giving her a warm bath and within 15 minutes she produced a non-calcified lg egg with another smaller egg attached. I hope I did the right thing - but I was really worried by the way she was acting. It has been a rather scary night. She seems to be ok - I'd feel better if she was more dry since the nights are getting cooler. I turned the warming light on in the coop so it will stay a little warmer for awhile, hopefully she'll dry off enough before I head to bed. Probably not giving chickens enough credit - they are pretty resilient. I again, hope I did the right thing unclogging or speeding up the egg(s).

4. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Yes, I think you did the right thing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by