1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

HELP! Newly orphaned 5 wk old chick - get a friend or keep single til old enough to join big girls

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Weve3Chickens123, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Weve3Chickens123

Weve3Chickens123 In the Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Earlier this evening my DH left the shed door open and my dachshund got in and chewed through the bottom corner of their cardboard brooder box and killed 3 out of 4 of my five week old chicks. Thankfully one was able to fly to safety. I had moved the chicks to the cardboard box as they had grown out of the plastic tote brooder by 3 weeks! I The cardboard box was just a temporary fix while I finished up a 4 x 10 chicken tractor which was going to be their home until they were big enough to join the big girls in the larger coop/run. Now I have one lonely chick to put in it this weekend. ( She's back in the tote for now). My question is: is it better to let her live alone for the next few months or get her a companion ( or two) her age so when she DOES join the hens ( there are 6) she will have "back up". I've always tried to add in pairs. I don't want her to be lonely, but I don't want to bring in new chick and possibly bring in something else ( illness??) and suffer more heartbreak. Advise anyone????

2. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Crowing

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Oh you are so asking the wrong question! All of us chick-a-holics will certainly say get more chicks![​IMG]

But in all seriousness, I would. Just for the reasons you stated. Companionship and backup when she goes in with the big girls.

Good luck and sorry for your losses.[​IMG]

3. Weve3Chickens123

Weve3Chickens123 In the Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Thanks, Puddin Fluff! I'm kinda leaning that way, but just want to make sure it's not just because I WANT it. [​IMG] - - I want it to be good for HER. She was always the friendliest anyway ( flew up to the top of the tote and the box whenever I lifted the lid), while the rest were sort of skittish, but it was super sad when after we found her hiding in the shed , she got up on my shoulder and burrowed into my hair and sat like she was prepared to roost on my shoulder for the night. I just feel so bad for her.

4. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Crowing

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    So sweet. She really needs friend, or two, or 5 [​IMG]. Best of luck to you. Sounds like a sweetie. Hope you can get some others locally and quick, close to her age. I think 2 would be what I would try for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by