Help! No eggs from chickens..

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by helpmehomestead, Nov 16, 2016.

1. helpmehomestead

helpmehomestead New Egg

Nov 16, 2016
    My wife and I are slowing getting into homesteading, we are both from the city and want to get out and spend more time with family. We got some buff orphington chicks about 4-5 months ago. They are all big now but they arnt laying any eggs. I'm feeding them a mixture of chick starter, laying mash, corn, and grass clippings. Is it just too early for them to be laying? I have 5 chickens and 1 rooster.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] 20 weeks is a little too soon to expect eggs from Buff Orpingtons. They generally start laying somewhat later than the high production birds, but generally have a longer productive lifetime.

3. helpmehomestead

helpmehomestead New Egg

Nov 16, 2016
    Great! Thanks so much!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC. Great advice from @sourland [​IMG] Please make yourself at home here with us.

Best wishes
    CT

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Pullets that mature in the fall/winter take longer to start laying. Layer feed is for actively laying birds only, so it might be a good idea to stop feeding that for now. The calcium levels are much too high for birds that aren't producing eggs. Corn and other things will dilute the overall protein intake and could result in them taking even longer to start laying.
    Orpingtons that mature in the summer usually start laying at about 6 months of age. Yours probably won't be ready to start until they are about 7 or 8 months old.

1 person likes this.
  6. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    My Buff Orpington hatched Feb 27 last year. She hadn't started laying before the days got short. However, she started to lay the end of January and laid regularly until she started to molt. They are big chickens and seems they take longer to mature. Having the days so short seems to slow them down even more.

7. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  8. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Congratulations to you and your wife on your new flock and your move towards homesteading! You've already received some good advice on their diet so I'll just say hello and it's nice to have you join us!

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, helpmehomestead, and :welcome! Great to have you aboard! Looks like you've received some great advice already so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by