Help, no gel pack for my new chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by s6bee, Jul 17, 2007.

1. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I just got my new chicks in the mail, 2 days early, but no gel starter feed ( or whatever it is I ordered ) came with them!!! They are vigerous so far. Help me get them started without the stuff I requested. I can't get any from a local feed place..

Stephanie

2. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    Make sure they each get a drink of water. Dip their little beaks so they get the idea. Being early to arrive is a good thing! That means they weren't bumping around the post office system very long.
    Watch for pasty bottoms the next few days and clean that off if you notice it.
    Your grow-gel may (Probably will) arrive in a day or two! I've not used it. Maybe you could save it for your next batch, if your babies are doing well without it.

3. dreamgirl

dreamgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I didn't use it and mine were fine. I put a few tablespoons (2-3/quart) of sugar in their water for the foirst 2-3 days b/c they had a rough ride (2 died in transit). Otherwise, stick their beaks in the water until they get the hang of it (a second or two), give them some food, check their bottoms at least 2x a day and enjoy!

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Did you check under the material they ship them in? Mine was stuck under the straw and I almost threw it out thinking they didn't ship it too. Just make sure they get water & chick starter if you have it. I bought chicks several times they did fine with & without the grow-gel.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  5. s6bee

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I'll check the box again under the hay, if it's not there, I'll do the advice you have all given, thank you!!!

6. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    When I got my chicks they wouldn't eat that gel stuff. I think as long as they are lively and eating and drinking then they should be fine.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've never used any supplement like the gel, although I'm sure it's fine stuff. I've never even put sugar in the water. The only other thing I can add is that if you begin having a problem with pasty bottoms, add about a teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar with mother of vinegar to the quart waterer. It's the unfiltered kind and most large chain grocery stores would have it. It will help with that.

8. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    That's where I found the gel pack when I got mine, stuck between the styrofoam and packing straw.[​IMG]
    My chicks wouldn't touch the stuff and thrived anyway! [​IMG]

9. s6bee

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Well you were right. It was between the hay and packing..
    I gave it to them and that have no interest in it at all. When I first put the chick starter feed in, they gobbled that down though. I guess I was just wondering what is normal behavior now that they are settled in. They were crazy over the feed at first, and now they feed but not as actively. What is also normal for them while they sleep?

Thanks,
    Steph

10. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Once they find the feed...they will eat it with vigor at first. Its new to them. As far as the gel pack....UGH, I dont use that stuff. If they were with momma hen they wouldnt get it.
    As for sleeping....they can sleep in so many different positions. Some fall asleep standing up, some sprawl out on one side looking like they are dead...some lay on thier tummys. They sure can give ya a scare. LOL Enjoy the new peeps....and of course, pics and updates!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by