Skin ripped open

Emma_Bruffy

Songster
Aug 17, 2020
My hen paprika has been acting normal so of course I didnt suspect anything. When she was flying up to the nesting box I noticed something wrong with her leg. The skin under her wing has been completely ripped open and I can see her hip bone and leg muscle all the way to her knee. It wasn't bleeding so I let her lay her egg in peace and when she was done I took her inside and put vetricin in and on it. What should I do to help her I can get pictures if you need them but I must warn they would be graphic

No one replied to my other post so I'm gonna make another one, anyways my hen paprika has a severe injury and you can read about it on my other post. More hens have the same cut on the exact same spot and I think it's my roosters spure slicing them open. I'm posting pics on this thread. I dont know what to do. I am keeping her and the others that are hurt separate from the rooster and putting vetricin on it

Here's the pics

Attachments

• 20210411_193455.jpg
    20210411_193455.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210411_193451.jpg
    20210411_193451.jpg
    553.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210411_193244.jpg
    20210411_193244.jpg
    492 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210411_193227.jpg
    20210411_193227.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 17
X2 on trimming the spurs. I think your doing the right thing by treating and separating the injured hens. Depending on how many other hens you have, you may want to separate the rooster from all your hens for a while. If there are fewer hens with him, they may get over mated and suffer the same injuries. As far as Paprika, just keep doing what your doing and make sure to keep an eye out for any kind of infection. Chickens are remarkably resilient animals. They can heal up from some pretty vicious wounds without issues.

Do you have a rooster with sharp spurs that may have ripped her skin open while trying to mate? If not, I would suspect a predator. Vetericyn wound spray is fine to use, but I would try to use plain Neosporin ointment on the wound and keep it moist. There are other ways to treat, such as using manuka honey or sugar and betadine. Watch for infection and separate her in a dog crate with a clean towel for bedding.

Do you have a rooster with sharp spurs that may have ripped her skin open while trying to mate? If not, I would suspect a predator. Vetericyn wound spray is fine to use, but I would try to use plain Neosporin ointment on the wound and keep it moist. There are other ways to treat, such as using manuka honey or sugar and betadine. Watch for infection and separate her in a dog crate with a clean towel for bedding.
Yes I do but hes going to a new home tomorrow along with his brothers. I am keeping my SLW rooster with no spurs. Debating on if I should keep 2 Instead of one but all the ones going tomorrow have spurs

Yes I do but hes going to a new home tomorrow along with his brothers. I am keeping my SLW rooster with no spurs. Debating on if I should keep 2 Instead of one but all the ones going tomorrow have spurs
Sugar seems to be helping my skinned quail to regrow his skin so you can try that. I also use bluekote and vetrycin. Both are good wound treatments.

Back
Top Bottom