Help! Noisy hen!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by raro, Feb 12, 2014.

1. raro

raro Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2010
    I am hoping somebody knows why on earth my dominique hen has been acting so weird lately. A few months ago, a raccoon got her sister, and she stopped laying out of stress/grief. I get that. So now suddenly my two RIR hens have started laying, and I don't know if it's sudden jealousy or what, but she has suddenly become the noisiest, nonstop racket-making hen I have ever heard. She squawks nonstop from dawn to about noon before finally settling down. It's not the "I've laid an egg" song. It doesn't appear to have any particular purpose. It's just extremely loud, nonstop noise.
    Does anyone have any ideas as to how to quiet her down? I've tried bringing her inside, putting her in the coop, isolating her from the others, but nothing seems to make the slightest difference! It gives me a headache!

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Well, the RIR just started laying so that has changed the hormonal dynamic in the coop......any change can cause stress and some chickens yell when stressed.

Have you checked over physically to make sure there's nothing wrong with her?
    Is she eating and drinking and pooping OK?

All the birds have been living together since before the coon attack?

3. raro

raro Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2010
    Well, after the coon attack, I ended up getting the two RIR and an orpington. The orp is too young to lay, but the RIRs are certainly old enough. But they didn't start laying for about 2 months. The dominique and my Americana both just stopped laying, so I figured it was a stress related thing. But it went on for months, in spite of my doing everything to keep them unstressed and happy.
    Physically she seems healthy and happy. But I did find yesterday one of the RIRs had blood on her comb. No other issues, but I worried that the Dominique was picking on her, even though I've not caught her at it. So I've separated them just for now.
    Then again, with the snow we're getting, things will likely be further stressed...
    Thanks for your comment. Maybe I just need to wait it out. But tomorrow my neighbors will all be home and the snow will make everything quiet and then my Georgie will be yelling all morning...yikes.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Lots going on, could pecking order issues.......the screamer might be low hen....or getting ready to start laying again.

5. raro

raro Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2010
    Well, I guess you were right...got up this morning and there were FOUR eggs! I guess she was letting me know that she is ready to lay again. And lo and behold, she has been quiet today! Thanks for your observations, you were spot on!

6. spies04

spies04 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    I also have some hens that are louder than others. I have three different chickens that make sounds like they are laughing. They are so funny about it and get louder when I am passing out treats. I just call them the bossy old ladies [​IMG] always giving their opinion to someone.

7. tracytheone

tracytheone Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2014
    uk lancashire
    ive got the same ive got 2 wynadotte batams as well as other hens, theyve been quiet for a few days then one starts again!!. she makes the most awfull noise. the other one does it but not as bad. they stared laying about 3 weeks ago and one just walks round on and off moaning and making a din for no reason. tried throwing a bit of water on her but it makes even more noise. trying to ignore it but its hard as my neighbour is always in the garden sunbathing when the sun comes out!. i got that desperate before i shut her in the coup with the other one to try and shut it up and it made even more noise!. driving me nuts now and dont know what to do with the noisy devil, they all make some noise but for sutch a small bird the noise is awfull[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by