Help! Not Laying in Nest Box!

newchick49

Chirping
Jul 6, 2008
Southwest Ohio
My oldest hen started laying on Monday. We are really excited. We have two nest boxes in the coop, about a foot off the floor and they are 12x12x12. On Monday she layed in one box, on Tues the other and for the last two days she has layed in the corner of the coop opposite the nest boxes. Also the last two days there has been a hole in her egg, looks like she or one of the others pecked it, but it didn't break thru the membrane of the egg. How do we get her to lay in the nest box. We did put golf balls in them and on her first two days she knocked them out and layed the eggs in there. Also what to do about getting her to not poke holes in the eggs. We are at work until four in the afternoon, so it is not possible to get the eggs right after the are layed. Any advice is appreciated!!!!

If these are production breeds, then they are genetically programmed to lay and forget. This means if they can not get to the nest, (maybe some other hen is sitting in it), they will lay where they are standing. Young hens also will have a problem getting acclimated to proper nesting manners. The best thing to do is just keep placing the eggs in the nest for her, leave them there, see if she will get the hang of it.

Lastly, many hens will not lay in a dirty nest, so clean any poop out of the box.

Thats all I got.

There seem to be a lot anti nesting box chicks lately. I keep trying to move mine in... she just pushes the boxes apart, pulls out some straw and lays in between then. I'm pretty much like whatever.

I was told if you can catch them getting ready to lay to just try to put them in the box, or add golf balls / fake eggs and eventually they'll get it?!

Last edited:
Ditto... What Pipermark said
big_smile.png

I put wooden eggs in mine from the craft store. If she can push the golf balls out, you need to add a lip to your boxes so the eggs can't roll out.

DMK Ranch

Okay, here is what I have tried. I went to the craft store and bought ceramic eggs that look real. I put them in the next boxes instead of the golf balls. I put a lip on the nest boxes so she couldn't push the eggs out. I blocked where she was laying in the opposite corner of the coop. Then she layed under the nest boxes. I then blocked that and she managed to get into the corner underneath the next boxes. I am going to block that also. Also, I waited for her to go into lay and I picked her up twice and put her into the nest box. I feel like a chicken stalker! Anymore advice would be appreciated, feel like I am doing something wrong or should I just not be overly concerned with where she lays the egg. The other girls aren't laying yet and I am afraid they will do the same thing.
hmm.png

Well here's some news. Mine finally laid in the box today.... first she pulled all the straw out though! :mad:

By this evening she put all the straw back?!

Don't care as long as she used it!

I guess it just takes time. Did your's finally break the habit!?

Back
Top Bottom