Help! Not ready for first butchering try, but circumstances dictate?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by DanIndiana, Sep 9, 2010.

1. DanIndiana

DanIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    We've had our first 7 hens/pullets one week; doing great, lots of eggs, but unfortunately our dogs injured one 4 month old gold lace wyandotte-broken leg. I suppose this would be a good candidate for a first butchering experience? I'm especially reluctant, because it was my mistake, never should have trusted the dogs; very healthy bird now limping around. I never expected my first butchering to be because I killed a healthy young pullet. Help me out.
    Thanks

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    you may not have to...is she bleeding? can you put her in a secluded area so she can heal on her own? can she be splinted?

3. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree- if she's limping, it might not even be broken. It's pretty tough to break a leg, especially if you don't SEE a break. It's a good sign if she's up and moving. If they're really messed up, they'll just sit there.

4. DanIndiana

DanIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    It is hanging fairly limp. She does just sit most of the time. But she does stand on the good leg, briefly. She seems strong, other than one bum leg. Time will tell I guess. Harder than I thought it would be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by