HELP! Not sure if chick can get out of egg!

jfays

Songster
6 Years
Apr 4, 2015
ct
I posted last night looking for advice and I have updates. After 25 hours, she cannot seem to get out. Her pip hole was low down and irregular. She clearly could not zip. Her beak has been stuck out and moving and chirping. She is trying to get out and can't. As it has been 24 hours, I helped remove some of the egg shell. I ONLY removed some egg shell, no membrane. But now this is what I see. I cannot see any red veins or clearness. Just white. Do I need to wet this to see through? I saw a little blood at the bottom of the egg where the membrane tore slight but it was nothing bad or oozing out. It just looked like the normal stuff at the bottom. I do not know what to do at this point. Should I have wet the membrane to see the veins? I put the egg back in and she is wiggling and trying to get out. How long should I let her try for?

Also, here is her last night. You can see her pip hole and that is her beak sticking out

Sally Sunshine has a lot of posts on this. Look up assisted hatching in the search function. First, wash hands. Glove up if you have gloves. Gently moisten the membrane, be careful not to drown the chick. If you see blood vessels, stop! If you don't, you can try to peel back the membrane just a little bit around the beak at a time, using tweezers. Remove the membrane in the same manner the chick would have if it were zipping. Once you remove the cap, let the chick push out alone, unless it gets dried in. Keep it moist! And work slow. Stop any time the chick seems distressed or cold. Look out for blood! They don't have much and they need it all!

Back
Top Bottom