Help Not Sure What Happened To Our One Drake (PICs of DEAD duck)

Thezookeeper:)

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 31, 2010
When we got home today this is what we found.
hit.gif
52786_2010_12300095.jpg
We have 2 drakes and one duck they have been housing together for about a month now and showed very little signs of aggression toward each other. when we left today they were all swimming when we got home the 2 were in the yard and the one was found dead in the pen. there are no feathers any where to show signs of a dog and I found no bite marks anywhere on him just the blood coming from his bill. We have seen hawks would it be possible that a hawk tried to pick him up and dropped him to where he wasn't dead and got himself back in the cage. I know I'm asking questions no one can really answer but I'm trying to figure out what I need to do 2 keep the other 2 safe. Or could the other 2 have done this I really haven't seem any signs they would eat together, swam together they would even eat out of my hand together. thanks for any help. We are all so sad
hit.gif

Last edited:
What kind of tracks/sign in the snow ?

It can be very informative to skin him out to see the damage under the feathers. Raptor attacks will usually leave puncture marks on the body as well.

Last edited:
the only thing we saw were some dog tracks but I have dogs so not 100% positive not our dogs tracks.

Thezookeeper:) :

the only thing we saw were some dog tracks but I have dogs so not 100% positive not our dogs tracks.

Did they lead to the body ?​

would it be normal for a dog to kill just the one and leave the other 2 alone there were 3 ducks out. I think he tried to go to the cage for safety he was laying in the cage. This is the first duck we have lost and the first of any of our animals to be killed by something we are kinda lost now on how to keep the others safe.

I also think a dog kill. Probably broken neck. Too rough of playing maybe, either by mouthing him to death (not really biting) or shaking him - therefore no puncture wounds.

Back
Top Bottom