Help not sure what happened

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by zooinmypocket, Mar 28, 2017.

1. zooinmypocket

zooinmypocket Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2016
    California
    Hi so I put in my chickens at night and take them out in the morning. Last night my hen was fine, but this morning I noticed some matting and what reminds me of fat. She doesn't seem to be in pain and is eating and drinking. Wanted to see if I should do anything about it.[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello-

Did you get ahold of her and look at her chest? Is there an actual wound? It kind of looks like maybe she broke a yolk and sat in the gooey yolk all night....

3. Phoenixsw

Phoenixsw Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2015
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Is it an injury, or just something stuck to her feathers? Could she have layed down on a broken egg and gotten it stuck in her feathers?

4. zooinmypocket

zooinmypocket Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2016
    California
    It looks like that was it, but I didn't find any remains of broken eggs either. Strange. I cleaned her up and she seems fine, didn't like the water. Thank you for the help. Just a worried chicken mama.

5. Phoenixsw

Phoenixsw Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2015
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Maybe it didn't have a shell, or it's possible they might have eaten the broken one. Anyway, glad she's ok!

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    YAY! I wish all chicken problems were that easy! I'm so glad your chicken is OK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by