Help not sure what this is???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JazNMomsChicks, Aug 29, 2013.

1. JazNMomsChicks

JazNMomsChicks New Egg

Aug 29, 2013
    [​IMG]

He's been real slow and just stands Ina corner alone... Closes his eyes and doesn't eat much I don't know what to do? Some of my other chicks have these spots too but this is the worst one...what do I do to help

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is dry fowl pox, which is a virus spread by mosquitoes. It may spread to your other birds. There is no treatment except putting a bit of iodine on the crusts with a Q-Tip, but it will run it's course in 3 weeks or so. There is a wet form that invade the oral and nasal passages and can cause extreme illness and death. There is a vaccine available to prevent it, but your chickens will be immune to it after they get it.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    This is fowl pox, which is a viral disease. It is spread by flying insects like mosquitoes. There's no treatment for the disease itself, but to make it spread slower, treat your area for mosquitoes and flies. Also, isolate the infected birds.

To make the bird more comfortable, you can put petroleum jelly mixed with sulphur on the scabs. This will soften the scabs, and you should be able to remove them. The sulphur will help repel flies.

Though the disease is viral, a secondary bacterial infection could form due to the stress that the bird is experiencing. Because of this, you might want to get some antibiotics. Terramycin or Tetroxy HCA-280 are two good antibiotics.

There is a vaccine, so think about vaccinating in the future. Birds that recover will be immune, but can still transmit the disease.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Check the inside of her mouth for yellow cheese like pus, 'cause they can have the wet form of pox, too.

-Kathy

5. JazNMomsChicks

JazNMomsChicks New Egg

Aug 29, 2013
    Actually one of my Japanese buff have that his eye is swollen and he's got yellow stuff in corner of mouth wat can I do for him

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Does it look like this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. JazNMomsChicks

JazNMomsChicks New Egg

Aug 29, 2013
    Yes but it's not on the tongue and its eye is swollen shut can't open it is there anything I can do

8. JazNMomsChicks

JazNMomsChicks New Egg

Aug 29, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Is this the same thing or different? It's only there not on comb ...

9. JazNMomsChicks

JazNMomsChicks New Egg

Aug 29, 2013
    Yes what can I do

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I am no expert, but I think it could be pox. Warts and scabs are dry pox and the pus in the mouth and eye is wet pox, I think, but I am not an expert, it's just a guess. I've read that the dry just heals on it's own, but the wet pox can be problematic. The hen in my pictures is getting better, but looks like she probably lost one eye. With her I removed all of the pus, started her on Baytril 20mg/kg, de-wormed her with fenbendazole (Safeguard), dusted for mites/lice and tube fed her until she was eating and drinking on her own. I will post updated pictures later.

This is the thread I started:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818895/wet-and-dry-fowl-pox-pictures

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by