1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Nothing working to introduce new hen.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by paddock36, May 15, 2009.

1. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I have tried everything I can think of to introduce a new EE hen in with my small flock and nothing works. I have 3 RIR, 1 BO, and 1 Comet. I let them out to free range together for weeks, put the EE's pen in view of the the others, tried putting the EE in the little coop at night with the other hens, I even added a couple of young roos in there so she wouldn't be the only new one and no matter what they go after her (and the others too). This is the second hen I have tried to introduce and still no luck. I already have bantams in other pens so another pen for just one EE is just out of the question. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Is her color vastly different from the others? I found when I introduced a light color bird to my dark colored flock there were problems. I kept watching to make sure they weren't killing her and they finally accepted her. But for several days I didn't think they ever would.

3. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I know chickens can be really mean and will occasionally draw blood. Just leave them for 30 minutes or so and unless someone is severely injured (body part shredded) let the older ones establish dominance and in a few days to a week they should be good except for the occasional pecking [​IMG]

4. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

I had a barred rock who was being pretty ruthless with my new pair of chickens. Miss Jayne suggested I put her in time out for a few days and try to knock her down the pecking order a few pegs. I put her by herself in a coop, away from the other chickens. It worked beautifully....completely restructured the dynamics of the hen house. You might try taking the meanest one out of the factor for a bit and see what happens.

5. paddock36

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    The new hen is a black (with a little brown) EE and the older hens are the normal color for thier breed. The other two young Roos that I put in was a black EE, and a white Delaware mix (looks just like a Delaware but has a funny comb) The older hens actually pulled all the saddle feathers off the black roo. The hen was not as bad but close. Oh, and the meanest hen is the comet which I did try pening her up for a few days and when she was returned it was still the same. I have been thinking of rebuilding the run area to make it bigger. Would making a new run help?

6. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    It couldn't hurt to build a new run. What size is your existing run?

7. paddock36

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    The run is about 16 ft by 20 ft. When the hens free range they don't bother her but they stay seperate

8. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i have had some difficulties introducing a red star and cochin with by 2 month olds- then today i thought maybe a spray bottle of water might help- when i have them together if one of the older ones got to agressive i'd spray her feet, and she would get distracted- not sure if it will help in the long run though

9. paddock36

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I'm sending my DH to Lowe's tomorrow to buy wire for the new run. He's the buyer and I'm the builder. Hopefully that will work.

10. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    Have you tried putting her in the pen with them, but inside another smaller cage? That way they can get used to her without being able to get to her. A relative of mine did this when his rooster did not want to accept some new hens. After a couple of days, he was able to let him out and had no problems. He kept him in a large dog carrier inside the pen for a couple of days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by