Help now, PLEASE!!! Hen down, gasping for air, comb and wattles purple

Granolamom

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
Dallas
2 year old BR hen. We just found her in the backyard (she was fine this morning), laying on the ground, and gasping for air (each time she breathes, her entire body lifts up, then relaxes back down as she inhales). Comb and wattles are purple, she is not walking. We have her inside, please help. I added powdered garlic to their layer feed yesterday, as a natural dewormer and immune booster. Could this be the reason??? Please help, she is suffering badly!

We looked down her throat, and saw nothing. If there is something further down, how would I know, and how would I get it out?

I dont know..i'm sorry. I wish i could help you.
sad.png

She's been getting weaker and weaker over the last 10 minutes, since we found her. We think she's leaving us. Trying to decide if we should help her along, or let her go on her own. Purple comb means she's suffocating, right? She sounds like a person with emphesema (sp?). She is Frieda, our very first hen, and queen of a flock of 12. Oh, I feel so bad right now, and wish I could do something for her.

I keep reading about olive oil for other problems. If something is stuck in her throat maybe it would help it slide lose. It won't hurt her to at least try.

Drip it on her beak so she smacks on it and gets some down.

Back
Top Bottom