Help Now... PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MichelleT, Apr 23, 2016.

1. MichelleT

MichelleT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I have a hen that has been laying shell-less eggs for several weeks. At first it was soft shells, now we only find a wet goopy spot in the boxes - I assume that they're being eaten. I have been giving her a steady dose of calcium glutonate (sp?) - approx 1cc per day - and vitamin D but there has been little change. Until today her demeanor and apparent health otherwise has been typical - mischievous as always.

Yesterday I was reading a thread that advised against giving calcium supplements daily, so we skipped it last night. (She did get a treat of salmon, however) THis morning she is puffed up, tail down, on the roost. She won't come out of the coop. I've been expecting this, frankly, as the shell-less eggs can't be good for her body.

We had a round of what I think was IB a little over a month ago, and one other chicken is SOMETIMES laying odd eggs, but this one is the only one with what looks like long-term effects. This particular hen is a favorite, and so although I knew this might be the end result, I can't quit fighting for her. I am heading out to do a oral dose of the Calcium G right now and hope it help with something.

WHAT TO DO NOW? What am I possibly missing???

2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    She may be ill or weak from parasites (internal/external - lice, mites, worms), or possibly has a deficiency in her diet. What protein mix is she getting as or in her feed?

3. chicken vet

chicken vet Just Hatched

Apr 17, 2016
    Minneapolis Minnesota
    What layer ration is she currently on?

4. chicken vet

chicken vet Just Hatched

Apr 17, 2016
    Minneapolis Minnesota
    What is the concentration of the calcium and Vit D, and how are they currently administered?

5. MichelleT

Sep 20, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Thank you so much for responding.
    Calcium Gluconate - 23% Solution - 1cc orally (dripped in her mouth with a small syringe today but usually I just soak a small piece of stale bread in the stuff)
    Vitamin D3 - liquid drops I picked up at the health food store - 2000 IU, 1 drop per day, mixed in with the calcium (treat or straight-up today)

6. MichelleT

Sep 20, 2014
    Denver, CO
    She is on an organic layer feed, 17% protein, 4% calcium

7. MichelleT

Sep 20, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I don't think it's parasites - we are diligent about that (worming 2X per year - spring and fall) and they finished their last worming round on March 26. No signs of any lice/mites/etc.

8. MichelleT

Sep 20, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Since my first post I have gone out twice. The first time she had made her way off the roost and into the nesting box and was "laying" a shell-less egg - not even a membrane. 3 of her comrades were lined up behind her digging in - like they've been trained these last few weeks to gather round for treats because Henrietta's "laying" again. [​IMG] I pulled her out and gave her the liquid calcium supplement and just held her for a while. She took the calcium without a fuss (but she always does) and just rested on my lap. I put her back into the nesting boxes, thinking she'd be most comfortable there.

When I just went out to give her some water by dropper she was in the run, standing still with her tail still (mostly) down and a little poofed up but looking better than earlier. She came (slowly) to me when I came to get her and then took her water without complaint. Although she's looking better than this morning, she's still nowhere near her normal self.

9. chicken vet

chicken vet Just Hatched

Apr 17, 2016
    Minneapolis Minnesota
    Humm... Typically I dose Calcium gluconate, 5 - 10 mg/kg as an injectable in the muscle or under the skin. Vitamin D3 is administered at 200 IU daily for 3 days per week. I would discontinue the calcium as it has been several weeks without improvement. Calcium supplementation can result in hypercalcemia - or too much of a good thing. Hypercalcemia may result in increased drinking/water consumption, lethargy, inappetence, and generally non-specific malaise. It sounds like it is time to be seen by a vet for a vet to check Henrietta's serum calcium level. They will likely also recommend taking abdominal radiographs (x-rays) to get a better idea of what's going on.

10. MichelleT

Sep 20, 2014
    Denver, CO
    That does make sense, except that she only started acting sick when I withdrew the calcium, and then perked up after I gave it again.In fact, she's acting ALMOST normally now.

There is no doubt that she's not absorbing what I give her though, is there?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by