Help! OB Healthy Hen Has a Tear At The Back of Her Comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by For The Love of Peeps, Jul 23, 2011.

1. For The Love of Peeps

For The Love of Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Kuna
    Hi All,

I'm Not Sure How She Tore Her Comb. It's About 1/3 inch tear at the back ot it, right at her scalp. It Almost Looks Like She Got Her Head Stuck in Wire or Something, and Pulled Her Head Back.

I Don't Seem To Have Any Predators Around. The Rest of The Flock Are Fine. I Put Some Triple Antibiotic Ointment on It, The Best I Could. She Was Just Resting in The Coop, This Morning, But Now She Is Out Free Ranging. Should I Do Anything Else?

Thank You in Adavnce.

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    It sounds like you're doing the right thing. I'm assuming she's not bleeding anymore if she ever was. Put the ointment on everyday for a while - until it looks like it's mostly healed up!

3. GreenGables

GreenGables Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    MA
    Quote:X2 She should heal fine. [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

One of my blue Orps did that. Her beautiful comb now flops to one side and sits on her head like a beret, LOL. Goofy things manage to do all sorts of stuff to themselves, don't they?

5. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    You're doing the right thing, just keep up with the ointment and she should be fine! [​IMG] Chickens are hardy little birds--it's amazing what they can overcome.

I had a hen do a similar thing. I suspect the metal feeder, but I never knew for certain. Now part of her crown is completely perpendicular to the rest, forming an "L". There was a lot of blood, but she healed in mere days. The new crown rather suits her personality. [​IMG]

6. For The Love of Peeps

For The Love of Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Kuna
    Thanks Everyone. It is bleeding more tonight, but she is still eating and running around. [​IMG] Her's will probably end up "a little forward"! I still don't know what happened! If she worsens I will ask for more advice. Thanks Again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by