Help! OEGB ginger rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mwu81, Nov 20, 2014.

1. mwu81

mwu81 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    Longview, Tx
    I noticed today my ginger rooster is obviously sick, he's moving slow and not his normal cocky self, anything I can do??[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He is a handsome little guy. How old is he? Has he molted yet this year? I would probably worm him with Valbazen 1/4 given orally, then repeat in 10 days (if he has not recently been wormed.) Valbazen will treat even the special worms such as capillary and cecal worms, so it is worth the price. Is he eating or having diarrhea? Does his crop feel normal, and does it empty by morning. Look his skin over under his vent area and around neck and under wings for evidence of lice or mites. Get him some Poultry Cell or Poultry Nutri-Drench and dose him orally 1 ml as per instructions on the label (not in the water.)

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  3. mwu81

mwu81 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    Longview, Tx
    He's about 6-7 months old and hasn't molted or been wormed yet, I'm gonna try what you said though, he's eating a little bit but moves slow and sits with his eyes closed and tail down, he seemed fine yesterday. This is him normally. [​IMG]

4. mwu81

mwu81 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    Longview, Tx
    He's still no better and actually worse, I've tried worming him and other things, he has trouble standing now. I don't know what to do and not sure if he's gonna make it.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Has he been eating a drinking for you? Any diarrhea? Is he just too weak to stand or is there something wrong with his legs? I would give him some electrolyte water, and some scrambled or raw egg. Try putting water in his feed also, to get him to eat. Here is a recipe for homemade electrolytes:

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION
    1/2 teaspoon salt substitute*
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon table salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 gallon water

6. mwu81

mwu81 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    Longview, Tx
    He eats and drinks very little and he's just to weak to stand, his poop looks normal too. It's almost like he's dizzy when he walks cause he stumbles and falls down, he just seems to be getting worse as the week goes on

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    A piece of aquarium tubing with one end melted to round off the sharp edges, plus a large syringe (35-60 ml) would work as a tube feeding device. If you would like to tube feed him, there are some good threads about it here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

The stumbling could be from dehydration and weakness, but also could be a neurological symptom. Did he have a Mareks vaccine? Do you have any Corid or sulfa drugs, where you could try treating him for coccidiosis? Without forcing him to drink, I'm not sure he will last to long. Are his poops green?

8. mwu81

mwu81 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    Longview, Tx
    His poop looks normal and I haven't treated him for coccidiosis, I've been giving him water with apple cider vinegar in a syringe, he's drinking it but he's to the point now where he's just laying around and not moving at all

9. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    I would guess mereks. About the right age and symptoms of equilibrium off and lethargy he may become parlized in his legs as well. No cure that I'm aware of

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you post a picture of his poop?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by