HELP, old leg band to tight on chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EggHunter_66, Feb 5, 2011.

1. EggHunter_66

EggHunter_66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Box Springs,Georgia
    I have a chicken that I save a year agao from Animal Control and she had a leg band. I didnt think much of it and even forgot about it. Well, she started limping about a month a ago but my husband said she hurt her foot. WELL, I went out today and netted her to see her "foot" well its not her foot but that leg metal leg band! It is now way to small and has to come off but we have no idea how to do it with out hurting her. I dont even know anything about leg bands and how to put them off or take them off.
    Does any one have any suggestions?
    Thank You!!!

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    If it's metal, I would use a pair of wire cutter and clip it off. I wouldn't wait to long to do this by the sound of it. You may need to put some antibotics on the leg after. You could use neosporin, but without the pain killer in it.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  3. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

if its embedded your going to need to try some cooking oil first to try and loosen it and free it from the skin. You're probably going to have to hurt her a little to get it off. Just take a pair of wire snips and carefully cut it off. Or if you can get something in the connecting area seam and try to pry it open enough to slip off...

A pic would be best to help though...

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Tin snips would probably cut it off but if it's tight like you say it would probably be hard to get it under next to the leg, might have to have one of you hold and the other just work on it till it's cut clear through. Poor thing must really hurt..

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  5. EggHunter_66

Aug 4, 2008
    Box Springs,Georgia
    Thank you so much for your replies!!
    It its embedded and I feel really awful, I am kicking myself for not going with my gut feeling and just taking it off the day I brought her home. I didnt want something like this to happen.
    I just read all of your replies to my "Mr know it all Husband" and he said he knows how to remove it but doesnt have the tools <sigh>

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Till he gets the tools he needs I would clean it the best you can, maybe soak it real good in some warm epsom salt water for about 30 mins at a time. if her leg is swollen this might help to bring the swelling down . then smear some neosporin or something like it, no pain relief ending in caine though. Please let us know how she is doing. and good luck

7. msteresaann

msteresaann Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Washington
    You can call Animal Control and ask if they can help. They have probably dealt with this type of situation before. Make sure and ask, what they would charge to remove the band. They will most likely do it for free.

8. EggHunter_66

Aug 4, 2008
    Box Springs,Georgia
    NO Animal Control is useless, I work for the local humane society and we have our own vet clinic so when I go back to work tomorrow I can bring her with me and have my boss (the Vet) help me!
    So in the mean time i am soaking:thank you foe that idea!
    I will keep you all posted

9. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quote:Well, there you go - that's hopefully the answer. Handy to have a vet for a boss. Hope she feels better real soon. JJ

10. EggHunter_66

Aug 4, 2008
    Box Springs,Georgia
    I finally found someone I knew with snippers...the band is off now!!! [​IMG]
    Thank you to everyone how posted a reply....THANK YOU!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by