HELP!!! Older chick attacking new chicks!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by leela2012, Apr 1, 2012.

1. leela2012

leela2012 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2012
    San Jose
    Help!
    I have a Barred Cochin pullet that is 4 weeks old. She has been in the brooder with 4 other 1 week old chicks with no issue, They have all been together for a week with no problem, She actually is very motherly to them :) So I got 3 new 3 day old Silkies today and put them in with the other babies, and the "momma" Cochin is pecking them really bad. It makes me nervous that she will kill them. Is this normal? I love my new babies and don't want them hurt. Will this 4 weeker stop this anytime soon? They do have the red light which I thought would minimize this. Any advice? I don't want to have to get rid of my Momma bird.

2. armdchicken

armdchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    We did the same thing, and it turned out fine but the REAL thing you should do is-

DONT MIX CHICKS UNDER A WEEK OLD WITH ANYTHING OLDER THEN 2 WEEKS! the older ones will kill the younger ones, we got lucky and it worked but sounds like it aint working for you

3. leela2012

leela2012 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2012
    San Jose
    Thank you, I had a feeling.... Looks like I'll be re-homing her :(

4. armdchicken

armdchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    you dont have to rehome her...just seperate the silkies from her until they're older..then put them back together (with surveilance) until they get along

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by