Help older chicks

Mom of 9

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2017
I have two older golden comets.they have swollen hips,walk pigeoned toed,runny poops and pasty butts.also noticed tips of combs have white spots.Tried antibiotics and dewormed with wazine with no results. They are eating and drinkng but are very slow moving.Keep their tail feathers lowered. One has been this way for several months and took her to vets said she was egg bound but my understanding is they dont live long when they are egg bound.They have yougart,greens,vegetables and rolled oats for treats also have access to yard. Please help they are pets and dont care if they never lay another egg

Thank you for the links. Is there a chance they could recover.The one was treated with Clavomax an Tylin(?) when it first started the other one just started looking the same yesterday.They both are still eating and enjoying their treats.I keep finding a broken egg in their coop but dont know who is laying it as there is one other hen in there too.Can try to separate the other hen out tonight.I will leave them in the in the coop by themselves tomorrow to see if either are laying. These two are 3 years old.

They don't get better with egg yolk peritonitis. Some use antibiotics, but since the infection can be from different antibiotics, the antibiotic would have to be specific. There is not much success with antibiotics. A vet might help to diagnose it. Until they die and you do a necropsy, it is just a guess as to the exact problem. I would try to make her as comforatble as possible, and feed her some watery feed with a little egg and plain yogurt. If she gets to suffering, then I would put her down.

How old are these birds? Your title refers to older "chicks" but the post reads as though these are mature adult birds you are concerned about?

Im sorry still trying to get use to this tablet. They are three years old. im going to bring them in an start treating with Tylan powder.Just checked on them both up moving wanting to get out of coop.I dont believe i have anything to lose by doing this

someone suggested yougart these two are not crazy about yougart but love cottage cheese. Is there a problem with gving them that

I mixed Tylan with their food and have been eating it.Ate some cucumber.Seems very alert everytime i walk by dining room there two heads popping up to look at me.Will keep them in house until thru with Tylan and then put them in area by themselves and hope for the best

Back
Top Bottom