HELP Older Girls Picking on the Younger Ones!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Smithschicks, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Smithschicks

Smithschicks Out Of The Brooder

We have 4 Hens that are about 3 years old and have been together since they were babies. Recently we got 3 new Hens about 7 months old, we have kept them in seperate pins since got them about 3 weeks ago. We let all the girls out during the day to roam our yard and hunt for bugs in the garden and the older girls are constantly chasing the little girls and pecking them. Will they ever be able to be in one pin together? Seperate coops of course but would prefer to have them all together if possible.

Any idea would be helpful!
    Thanks

Sherrell

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    They need to reestablish the pecking order and show the young ones who's boss. Unless they draw blood leave them to it. They'll settle down.

3. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    Just let nature take it's course and soon they will all be sharing the same coop. I just moved my 5 week old chicks to the coop with my 6 month old hens they are separated by a cage but I hope all goes well down the road when I put them all together.

4. Smithschicks

Smithschicks Out Of The Brooder

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Should I start putting the new girls in the pin with the big girls for a little while to get them used to being together? If not how long should I wait to start putting them in the same area together?

Thanks
    Sherrell

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by