Help on feeding my button quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by taprock, Oct 19, 2011.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I have button quail due to hatch on Monday. I started getting the brooder and everything ready today. I went to the feed store to pick up feed and surprise they didn't have the recommended 28% protein unmedicated game bird starter. So my question is what should I feed them. We only have local feed stores in the area not any of the large chains. Here are my choices, 30% protein medicated game bird starter, 16% or 14% game bird maintenance not medicated, turkey starter that is unmedicated and 20% protein. Help! I don't know the reason for the unmedicated and I don't know if there is anything I can add to make the 16% work.

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    20% unmedicated turkey starter, Buttons do not need 28% protein.

3. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Hopefully someone with buttons will post...In the meantime...I've got coturnix. From what other breeders have told me, never use medicated with quail. I would assume then that would mean your buttons too. If the only choices are what you have listed...I would go with the turkey starter at 20%, with my peacocks, I bump their protein levels up with dry cat food. Look at the ingredients and don't use any that has fish products. These are some thoughts anyway...Good luck with your new arrivals!

4. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    That's what I got , but our feed store didn't have mash, so I have to run it through a blender. [​IMG]

5. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Quote:glad you posted...you were quick!

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I use medicated all the time, for my coturnix and buttons. I don't have any problems with medicated feed.

7. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Hard boiled egg can bump the protein, but I'm not sure how old they should be to give that.

I've read Kaytee exact hand raising formula for pet birds can be used for the first few days too. It's powder and 22% protein. It's sold at any major pet shop like Pet's mart.
    Quaillady~ Shelley~ any thoughts on this? I always have it on hand for my other birds.

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:You can make a mash. I put about a pound of feed in a 3# margarine tub and add about 1/2 cup of hot water. Mash it up with a fork (you don't want it wet but you do want it to break down) and store it uncovered in your fridge. It will last about a week depending on how many babies you have, just make sure to mash it whenever you take it out to get it down as small as you can. Blenders would make is powder and I've never had good luck with anything eating powder. They waste the majority of it when you do it like that, at least mine do!

9. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:You can give them boiled egg whenever you want. But like I said above, buttons don't need 28% protein.

10. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    An unmedicated gamebird or turkey starter of 20-28% protein is recommended for cbbq. You can put it in a blender to get a cornmeal consistency. So 20% is fine. you can add in the boiled egg if you are concerned about them not getting enough protein.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by