Help on first incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by davedavey, Feb 20, 2014.

1. davedavey

davedavey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    washington state
    Need to have some Ideas on a good tabletop model with turner for under $200? Or just a little over. I am looking at the hova bator 1588. I will mostly be hatching quail eggs, but will do some chicken eggs also at different times. Thanks for any advice. Dave

2. alaskanchickens

alaskanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2014
    South central Alaska
    A lot of people say that hova bators are difficult to set the temperature and keep it there. I have 2 of them, same model as what your looking at and I love them! Once you get the wafer turned to where it's within a few degrees of where you want it you just make small, quarter turns until its stable. The temp will fluctuate some, usually around 1 degree, but you tighten the wire nut and usually will not have to mess with it much on later batches. Good luck!

3. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I have a farm innovators model it is a styro foam 42 egg model with turner, it has white plastic over the foam on the outside which I like for added durability. It seems to hold temp fine so far it will vary a degree or so from time to time however right now my room temp is fluctuating some as well and could be part of the reason. Only bad thing is the built in thermometer hygrometer aren't trustworthy but I would prefer to use a secondary thermometer on any incubator.

I think much of the problem with the temp fluctuation in these small incubators is lack of thermal mass, I am only doing a half batch of eggs so there is only half the intended thermal mass, I think it would be helpful to add thermal mass in the form of water in bags or even fake eggs in the open spots on the turner as this may help hold the temp more steady, my next batch will be a full load and I am going to try to add thermal mass in addition to the eggs.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  4. JWEBB

JWEBB Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2014
    Central NY

I agree, heat sinks seem to keep temp stable.

5. JWEBB

Feb 4, 2014
    Central NY
    This is my time too I just put eggs in my homemade coolerbator with the GQF wafer. I followed the directions to start out and its working perfect. LOVE THAT THING. steady temp... once it got where it needed to be.

6. JWEBB

Feb 4, 2014
    Central NY

There is a Hovabator 1610 with egg turner on Ebay for BUY IT NOW at 69$ These are still air. I have one coming and I'll put a computer fan in it.

Well what I want tho is a Brinsea mini advance or Octagon.. THOSE ARE FREAKING NICE and in the $200 range.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by