1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help on geese breed plz!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by CKN, Aug 24, 2014.

1. CKN

CKN Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]
    I just bought these geese and I think the bigger one is the male and might be a Chinese. The smaller looks like the female and I'm not sure on her breed. I don't know much about geese. I always have raised chickens so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. CKN

CKN Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

3. poultrymaniac

poultrymaniac Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2013
    The big brown one actually looks more like an African to me, and the other one looks like a Pomeranian.

4. CKN

CKN Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Okay thank you! I wasn't sure.

5. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    I don't know how old they are but the brown is standing to high for a Chinese and is too skinny and has no dewlep so i am sure it is a African crossed Chinese .
    The little one could be a pomi . if it is still a going but if it is over a year then it is a mixed breed just like the other one. :)

6. Mr Feeney 1

Mr Feeney 1 New Egg

Aug 28, 2014
    Yes, your taller one is a brown China. My brown china just passed away. She was 16 years old. The other one looks like a cross bet a Brown China and maybe a Pilgrim.

7. Mr Feeney 1

Mr Feeney 1 New Egg

Aug 28, 2014
    Oh, sorry. I didn't see the 2nd photo. Yes, the taller one looks like a brown china mix of possibly an African. I agree with ServPolice

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sorry about losing your goose, 16 yr old goodness, I'm sure she had a great life.
    and Welcome to BYC!

9. Mr Feeney 1

Mr Feeney 1 New Egg

Aug 28, 2014
    Thank you. I'm looking for a female to replace her for Mr. Feeney. He is older too and losing his sight. I would like him to have a companion. Mr. Feeney is very loving, docile and sweet....a very hugable goose. I welcome any suggestions. I'm contacting rescue facilities as well as looking online. [​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    He's gorgeous, Not knowing where you are I can't help much but here in NC we have Carolina Water fowl rescue and they do adoptions. and we also have a rehoming thread here on BYC and a buy sell trade thread, plus if you go to "Where am I where are you" thread and look up you state you may have someone looking to place a goose Hope you can find Mr. Fenney a friend. I bet he's broken hearted at losing his girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by