Help! on lock down and need advice.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Luvmybob, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Luvmybob

Luvmybob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Florida
    I have 8 eggs, day 19 today, but in an effort to get the breed I wanted I put 2 eggs in three days after I put the set in the incubator. They are on day 16. Since I'm on lock down for the other eggs and unable to turn the eggs, I turned them yesterday morning, day 18 and day 15, do you think the younger eggs will be ok if not turned? Thank you!!:D

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The younger eggs will probabaly be fine. You may not get quite as good a hatch rate, but some at least should hatch. I've read that egg turning isn't really necessary after the 14th day, though most continue turning untill day 18.

3. Luvmybob

Jul 14, 2009
    Florida
    Thank you! If I get 6 out of 8 I'll be happy. Cornish X aren't known for breeding very well so I'll be happy with my mad scientist experiment. Good to know about the turning though. Didn't know about that.
    Take care!

4. Luvmybob

Jul 14, 2009
    Florida
    Thank you! If I get 6 out of 8 I'll be happy with my Cornish X experiment. Didn't know about the turning, thanks.

Take care!

5. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I had a broody who turned into a chick killer on day 18, I had eggs in the incubator on day 16 at the time. I put broody eggs in, the next day they started hatching, all 5 were out with 24 hours, removed chicks and repositioned other eggs, all 12 of them were hatched and within the broader 48 hours after the first set... first time ever that I had a 100% hatch! I quit turning the eggs at 16 days

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by