1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help on moving to brooder

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by priccabona, Nov 4, 2015.

1. priccabona

priccabona Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2015
    did a quick check, didn't find anything for sure what to do, of course its our first time incubating, we have 34 quail eggs, 11 have hatched, should we move them over to the brooder? or leave them? the older ones are being very aggressive to the new hatches, dragging them around by their toes, pecking eyes etc.. What should we do? Thanks ya'll have been so helpful with everything, I know I will get input on this as well, Thanks again..

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    How long ago did the oldest ones hatch?

3. priccabona

Sep 20, 2015
    started hatching at 3am, now 6pm

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I strongly feel this is a personal decision. I move mine as they hatch and become active. Some people wait until they are fully dry and fluffed up while others don't move them until the hatch is complete. I feel it is when the hatcher is comfortable.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    While I do agree with this I think it's important to mention things to consider in making the decision. ...example, OP have you had a lot of trouble maintaining your conditions in the incubator? If your setup is one where keeping things as you want them and the recovery time had been extreme when things are opened up that would be something to factor into your decision.

1 person likes this.
  6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    True...true.

7. priccabona

Sep 20, 2015
    Thank you for all the info, I did end up moving them over. Three more since then have hatched.. a few more pips this morning, again thanks for all your help

8. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    Good luck with the rest of your hatch!

9. priccabona

Sep 20, 2015
    total of 17 now. still a couple more pipped.. out of 34 on first hatch?!?!?! 50% kinda proud of myself, for not knowing what we were doing, lol

10. priccabona

Sep 20, 2015
    these babies just keep on hatching, lol she has 23 out of 34 now, Pretty good hatch for not knowing what we are doing.. we are both tickled at the amount that have hatched..Thanks for all the advice and help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by