1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! One chicken dead, one behaving poorly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by matt1898, Oct 15, 2014.

1. matt1898

matt1898 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2013
    Broadway, NC
    Just got a call from my mom. She found one of my EE's dead. Well at first we were thinking it was a small male dog that is around (terrier) because our two dogs are in heat. However, she also said one of my wyandottes is acting strange.
    She is acting like she is blind. Not walking, staying in one spot, one eye is closed, and she is not responding to any visual stimulation from her other eye. I pick her up and she just kind of hangs there, but does show a little resistance if she is flipped upside down.
    Dad found her this morning sitting outside the coop where there is a bit of water run off. So, whatever it is, it hit her and the other chicken this morning. I'm thinking a poison or a bug?????
    Not sure what to do.

Thoughts??

2. Hbarth12

Hbarth12 Out Of The Brooder

I don't know what you should do, but I am very sorry for the loss of you chicken[​IMG]

3. matt1898

Jan 24, 2013
    Broadway, NC
    Well. I found where the EE was discovered dead. Pile of feathers, I'm thinking it might have been a dog...maybe that dog. He isn't going to be around much longer.

Just messed with the wyandotte again, I think she can see. I snuck up behind her, put my hand in front of her and she reacted. She just seems to be in shock. But she hasn't budged from where she has been sitting (according to dad) for the past several hours. I am going to catch her, lock her up in a dog carrier, and see if I can get her to eat or drink.

4. Hbarth12

Aw at lest she realized you put your hand in front of her

5. matt1898

Jan 24, 2013
    Broadway, NC
    Okay. Update after observing her.

1. Her balance is bad. She stands still, makes little attempt at running away. I pick her, put her down and she stumbles forward a few inches before righting herself.

2. Her left eye...it has a blank stare. No blinking, and no looking around has if to look up at me if I hold up a piece of food.
    3 .Right eye is closed. I try to manually open it but it closes right back. No indication of scratch or injury.

4. Dad found her this morning sitting in the middle of some water runoff from the coop area. We have a lot of rain recently, and living on a farm, my first thought was poisoning from chemical runoff.

5. She will swallow fluid when placed on her beak with a dropper.

6. Hbarth12

At least she drank. Is she eatting now

7. toynutz

toynutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Pacific NW
    Sounds like she was injured by whatever killed your other girl... I'd bet predator over poison. Do you have her separated? She might just be in shock or she could have a more serious injury. I'd keep her warm and dry, restrict movement and keep her quiet, and watch her for a while. You could gently check her over for signs of injury, though I'm no expert on what to be looking for. Just make sure she gets plenty of fluids like vitamin or electrolyte water, and try to get her to eat something, maybe some scrambled eggs or a favorite treat. Hopefully someone else has some more suggestions for you.

8. Hbarth12

That is a good thing maybe Toynutz is on to something.

9. matt1898

Jan 24, 2013
    Broadway, NC
    Whoops! I forgot about this thread. Turns out it was an injury due to a dog that had killed several of my other chickens. She is fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by