HELP! One chicken is laying her eggs from the roost!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rooster47, Nov 26, 2010.

1. rooster47

rooster47 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    I have 5 Isa Brown chickens - 8 months old - and 4 of them are sweethearts, laying their eggs each day in the nesting boxes. ONE of my naughty, stubborn chickens is laying her egg right off the roost and it's dropping directly on the poop board or floor and breaking and then they eat it, sometimes the whole egg is cracked or only partial eggshell is left. She refuses to lay in the nesting boxes ( I have 4). Anyway, I tried a netting to catch it but that didn't work (the netting stretched and the egg dropped on the poop board and broke).
    I hope someone out there has a suggestion on what I can do. I'm getting frustrated. Thanks a million!

2. KCchickens

KCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Fayette county, IL
    Hi I'm posting to keep this up top! I hve 1 hen who only does that when it's too early and she can make it to the nest boxes..... But she usually lays during the day in the boxes.

Maybe she's jut to lazy to get up in the middle if the night to lay her egg properly? Hope someone helps!

3. rooster47

rooster47 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    I can't believe it, she laid in the nesting box today! Got 5 eggs! Yea.

4. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i get that same problem happened just yesterday had one layed on the roost and one layed on the floor. the egg that was on the roost was a soft shelled egg . and the one on the floor they were eating when i walked into the coop . before i got rid of the egg on the roost they had ate that one too. i get about 4-6 eggs a day right now from 15 1 and a half year old hens i dont have artifical light in the coop and they are usually layed in the nestbox. only get the roost and floor eggs on occasions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by