HELP! One chicken is laying her eggs from the roost!

rooster47

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 30, 2010
I have 5 Isa Brown chickens - 8 months old - and 4 of them are sweethearts, laying their eggs each day in the nesting boxes. ONE of my naughty, stubborn chickens is laying her egg right off the roost and it's dropping directly on the poop board or floor and breaking and then they eat it, sometimes the whole egg is cracked or only partial eggshell is left. She refuses to lay in the nesting boxes ( I have 4). Anyway, I tried a netting to catch it but that didn't work (the netting stretched and the egg dropped on the poop board and broke).
I hope someone out there has a suggestion on what I can do. I'm getting frustrated. Thanks a million!

Hi I'm posting to keep this up top! I hve 1 hen who only does that when it's too early and she can make it to the nest boxes..... But she usually lays during the day in the boxes.

Maybe she's jut to lazy to get up in the middle if the night to lay her egg properly? Hope someone helps!

i get that same problem happened just yesterday had one layed on the roost and one layed on the floor. the egg that was on the roost was a soft shelled egg . and the one on the floor they were eating when i walked into the coop . before i got rid of the egg on the roost they had ate that one too. i get about 4-6 eggs a day right now from 15 1 and a half year old hens i dont have artifical light in the coop and they are usually layed in the nestbox. only get the roost and floor eggs on occasions.

Back
Top Bottom