Help! One Foot Black One foot almost a white color!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mmorgan79936, Nov 9, 2014.

1. mmorgan79936

mmorgan79936 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2012
    Elgin Oklahoma
    I went out this morning to my Maran limping and her foot up. She was not doing this yesterday. When I picked her up this is what I see. What is causing this? Why does she have one foot a very pale color and the other is black and almost deformed looking. Any ideas as to what is causing this? I had a rooster die about 3 months ago with paralysis on one side. never knew what caused it but his feet and legs did not change color like this.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you for any input. I have her isolated right now

2. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    It looks like it's parasitic - scaly leg mites? No sure from picture. Maybe someone with more knowledge will respond soon.

3. mmorgan79936

Jun 26, 2012
    Elgin Oklahoma
    I was just looking into this. It's weird because I treat them all with Ivermectin so now I am going to rush bath all them in wood ash and see if I can't get this under control. I wonder if I do this if she will be able to walk again?

4. mmorgan79936

Jun 26, 2012
    Elgin Oklahoma
    I meant to say dust bath them all in wood ash

5. toynutz

toynutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Pacific NW
    Looks like there's something wrong with her circulation. Not sure if it could be from scaly leg mites or some other restriction, injury or disease. Can she move her leg and grasp with her toes? Could she have gotten something tangled around her leg that's not obviously visible? If you want to treat for scaly leg mites, you'll need to smother them to kill them... coat her legs with something like vaseline or metholatum... dusting does next to nothing for this type of mite.

6. mmorgan79936

Jun 26, 2012
    Elgin Oklahoma
    All mine are free range but I have them contained within 2 acres. There isn't anything she could have gotten wrapped up in. I walked the yard and their run and coop area and nothing. At first that is what I was thinking too but I found nothing. I have always just went ahead and treated everyone for mites yearly then every 6 months I use vaseline on them all. I also use the earth in their Coop but I ran out last month so the last 3 changings I didn't put any down under the shavings. I just went out and got Epsom salt, VetRx, horse brush, Scaley-Leg Protector and Poultry Protector. My plan is to set up stations using the blue baby pools and buckets. Not sure why I bought the VetRx but I have it if anyone knows what to do with this please chime in

We will first check everyone and assess the problem we have at hand with each one (how bad each one is infected)

1st station will be a bucket of warm Epsom Salt to soak feet
    2nd station will be the scrubbing of the feet
    3rd station will be and inside run area to dry feet
    4th station will be to dust everyone in Wood Ash
    5th station will be to Vaseline everyone's feet/legs
    6th Station will be Ivermec Dose to each bird according to weight, scale will be on hand
    6th Station is to do another overlook and look for any mites/lice anything moving
    7th station will be another holding area that is free of bugs and keep here until main coop is cleaned out and dry with new bedding

So this is my plan I have 8 teenagers and 4 adults helping. Sorry being retired military I have to have a plan of attack especially when it come to 49 birds ;)

If anyone sees anything I can do differently please let me know. All the support I get from here is so amazing not sure what I would do without you all. We have no Poultry Vets in our area except one and he really isn't a "poultry" vet as he calls himself. I have lost several birds due to his work :(

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I am seeing this on my phone so the picture is tiny ..... Is her dark foot swollen? Have you researched gout in chickens? If you are using Ivermectin you may not need to use the vaseline. Dusting them with wood ash will not kill an infestation of external parasites. You mention you are using 'earth' . Do you mean diamotaceous earth?

8. mmorgan79936

Jun 26, 2012
    Elgin Oklahoma
    Yes that is the Earth I am using in and around the coop

9. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I have never seen scaly leg mites infesting one leg only...but, I guess it can happen..the images you posted definately look like scaly leg mites...be cautious about scrubbling the leg(s)..you do not want to have them bleed...maybe betadine in the water would be a good idea...sadly scaly leg mites can take up to eight weeks to eradicate...you would need to re-apply the vaseline every few days...the hatching eggs can take up to ten days to develop...

You have a wonderful routine going to treat them all...bear in mind also that scaly leg mites can affect their combs and face too...vaseline will smother any facial/comb mites...when applying the vaseline to the legs ensure you smother up to where the feathering starts on the legs...

Good luck and I hope that you can eradicate whatever the problem is...

10. mmorgan79936

Jun 26, 2012
    Elgin Oklahoma
    I am also seeing so many conflicting amounts for the Ivermectin. Does anyone know how much to use per LB of bird? All mine are Standards but a lot are still very young 5-6 mo old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by