Help! One Foot Black One foot almost a white color!

I have always used .25 on all the birds but not sure if it was enough for the Cochins or too much for younger ones. (I have never given this to any of my birds younger than a year so first time)

I have never seen scaly leg mites infesting one leg only...but, I guess it can happen..the images you posted definately look like scaly leg mites...be cautious about scrubbling the leg(s)..you do not want to have them bleed...maybe betadine in the water would be a good idea...sadly scaly leg mites can take up to eight weeks to eradicate...you would need to re-apply the vaseline every few days...the hatching eggs can take up to ten days to develop...

You have a wonderful routine going to treat them all...bear in mind also that scaly leg mites can affect their combs and face too...vaseline will smother any facial/comb mites...when applying the vaseline to the legs ensure you smother up to where the feathering starts on the legs...

Good luck and I hope that you can eradicate whatever the problem is...
Thank you I will be sure to get the combs, Vent area and face :)

Well here is the issue I have I just ran her through everything and upon check no moving bugs, no mites nothing but I treated for them anyway But the foot is hard as a rock. I trilled to move the toes down to see if they will curl or grasp and they are like so hard and stiff if I try and move them they will literally break

How cold is it where you are? Any chance of possible frostbite ? Whatever the problem I would massage some vaseline into that leg...

How cold is it where you are? Any chance of possible frostbite ? Whatever the problem I would massage some vaseline into that leg...

I have done that and no its not cold here at all. I am in Oklahoma and at night they coop up but maybe gets down to about 50-60 at night. Now we did have 2 real cold says a couple weeks ago that got down to maybe 20-30 enough to freeze their waters. Maybe something happened that night?

I have done that and no its not cold here at all. I am in Oklahoma and at night they coop up but maybe gets down to about 50-60 at night. Now we did have 2 real cold says a couple weeks ago that got down to maybe 20-30 enough to freeze their waters. Maybe something happened that night?

Wow Suzie I am researching that now and that is exactly what her foot looks like! So that 2 nights it got real cold she got frostbite? That is the only way and Wow I didn't think they would get that here :( Maybe she didn't get in the coop and slept under it all night, sometimes the little ones will do that and we can't see them. I blocked the areas off under the coop yesterday since we are only getting 2-4 eggs a day amongst 38 laying hens. I know daylight savings and molting with some has stopped laying.

That is a severe case of scaly leg mites. Yes, it can happen in one leg. Vaseline, nu-stock, caster oil, vegetable oil etc...can be used to smother the mites. Reapply often until completely healed, it will take time. Keep in mind that with applying ivermectin; there's a possibility of overdosing and there's an egg withdrawal period.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom