HELP!One gasping chick died, others seem fine preventatives needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HeatherLynn, May 20, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Ok he is breathing, gasping, no previous signs, his legs are all stretched out and he was on his side but they sleep that way too. He can't stand nor can I move him into a more normal position. help help help

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  2. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    How old is he? Did he get overheated?

3. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    just had him a week from the feed store so maybe 1 to 2 weeks old. Sorry as I was typing he died in my hand. I'll be back in a few to find out what to do with the others

4. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    I am very sorry that he passed.... It's possible with the stresses of shipping and everything he contracted pneumonia or something else. You really don't need to do anything with the others as long as they seem healthy. Make sure they aren't over heating (or drafty). Sometimes they pass for no reason that is obvious to us.
    [​IMG]

5. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Ok so I have no clue what happened or what to do for the other chicks.

They are polish. I have had them for a week. They are in with my silkie who is now being removed for fear he/she caused this. No pasty butt but some did have the starts of dirty butts when I got them. Their vents look good now.

There has been no sneezing, no off behavior other than they sleep weird, everyone was very vigorous with eating and drinking, the poop all looks fine. There were only 6 of them so its easy to keep an eye out for this stuff. no drainage

When I found it, it was laying on the ground and another chick was on it, It was gasping and its head was flailing all over, it had no control over its legs or body anymore it seemed. Its head just kept jerking like it was trying to lay its head on its back. Just kept stretching its neck way back over and over and gasping.

Last night it was still eating and picking on the other birds. They were all active enough last night I had to put a pillow over my head to block out all the noise.

So what could have caused this and whats my next step to protect the rest.

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  6. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    I'm really leaning towards a resp. infection of some sort. Chicks are soooo prone to these, and it's not something you can really prevent. He could have caught in shipping or picked it up from your clothes or even from someone/something at the feedstore. Like any baby these things move fast and they are passed before you have a chance to react. Shipping is stressful and can lower their immune systems to make them catch things more easily.
    What type of bedding are you using? Do they have good ventilation?

7. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I use newspaper and paper towels. Plenty of ventilation. I do use a heat lamp but I actually have it on a pole planted in a pot so I can keep it far enough away where they don't overheat. I wonder if its from pecking. I have a couple little ones who are pecking everyone. I had to remove the large silkie because they were pecking him so much. I did not think polish would be more agresssive than my barred rocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by