HELP!! One of my babies keeps crying

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LuLuBelle, May 9, 2009.

1. LuLuBelle

LuLuBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    HELP!! One of my babies keeps crying. I have had to clean up poop around it's but that is all hard and clumpy. Sorry, but its true. Then it goes away and a few days later I do it again. We have had it for a week, and I would say the baby is just about 10 days old maybe.

I have seen the others eat and drink. but I don't think I have really seen this one eat or drink. Seems to be crying out a lot...

I don't know what to do... It doesn't seem to be growing like the others are either...

Please give me ideas... what can I feed the baby?

2. chickenguysmom

chickenguysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

When I get one that cries alot I pick it up and hold it. Mine will sometimes peep loudly when they are cold and tired. I pick him up and place him in the palm of my hand then put my other hand over the top, with only his head sticking out. That way he has heat from top and bottom. Plus I am hoping it satisfies some sort of primal chicken thing of feeling like it has a big, warm mama chicken "sitting" on top of it.

I can usually tell that the baby is cold by it's how it's feet feel against my hand. If it's feet feel cold on my hand I know he is cold. Mine are about 2 weeks old and two of them cry more than the others. This technique only works for one of them with the other one we don't know why he cries or what to do.

3. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    I would definitely keep an eye on this chick to be sure it's eating and drinking. That is first and foremost.
    Maybe hand feed, try the starter and if it wont accept that try mashed up hard boiled egg. Maybe some vitamins and electrolytes in the water.

Keep an eye also to see if the other chicks are picking on this one-if that's the case, you may have to seperate it--which won't help with the crying of course but you will that you chick is getting the nutrition that it needs.

One more thing, be sure that your temp is warm enough, they tend to get noisy when they are chilled.

Good luck!

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i agree with all that has been mentioned- one thing i found my chicks like is a towel in the brooder, they will cuddle right into it- also try wetting the crumbles and see if he eats better that way

5. chickenguysmom

chickenguysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, byrdluv is right. For our very first chicken we took towels, socks and a beenie baby that was a bird (red cardinal, I think) and put it in there with her. She was a RIR and although I have no idea how it made her feel, it made US feel better. We eventually got her some real chicken friends....... that how it starts.... just one chicken and now we have 19.

Beware, anything & everything that goes in with the chickies will end up with poo on it. LOL

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  6. dgeter

dgeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    I had a runt that was acting that way. I pulled him out of the tub and placed him and another chick in a tub my themselves because the other babies were trampling the runt. Put a teddy bear in there with em too :)

7. NJbirdlover

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    hows your chick doing??

8. LuLuBelle

LuLuBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    Quote:Happy Feet past away that night... Poor thing...

9. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    Quote:Hay! Found out what to do for pasty butts. I was having this problem also! Jerry with the Seramas in LA. reccomends kids play sand mixed with there food. I did not want that much and got a box of finch grit. Its like sand and mix it with the mash and no more pasty butts. I put there lil butts under warm water the poop will loosin and come off. One other thing I had a cryer and he was really tiny so I began dipping his beak in the water and he drank and drank. Try dipping his beak. After he got the water he now knows where it is and no more crying. Just as a habbit all new chicks get there beaks dipped in sugar water for the first time, then they know where it is. This lil guy just needed a lil extra dip...

10. NJbirdlover

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    Quote:Happy Feet past away that night... Poor thing...

awww, I'm sorry![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by