Help, one of my chickens is missing a big patch of feathers!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by timp123, Jul 24, 2010.

1. timp123

timp123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2010
    Georgetown, Indiana
    It looks like there is about a fist size of feathers ripped off... the skin is blood red back by her leg/rump. The poor thing is laying on it's side.. doesn't appear like she can get around very well... not sure if it's a broken leg.. but I don't know.. I don't see any where where an animal might have got in... and tried to get her... it's a completely inclosed coop. Is it possible she has been pecked? (It might be a rooster too, not sure.. I have 13 chickens... and I don't know what I have yet.

I am getting ready to leave and will be gone Sunday thru Tuesday... so I am thinking about taking her out, away from the others.. and putting her in the house in a dog kennel that we have, to let her be alone and away from the others.. so if it is the other chickens causing the problem.. at least she can get some rest.. and time to heal up....

Is there anything I can put on the wound?

Thanks so much for helping with any info you might have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  2. alaskachick

alaskachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Hi... I am having the same problem except I know its the roo who is pecking at her. My chickens bright red skin is showing. I am upset cuz I don't know what to do. Hope you find your solution and me too. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  3. timp123

timp123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2010
    Georgetown, Indiana
    I now have her in the house.. with her own food and water.. she's laying on her side.. but she is eating and drinking... hope she gets better... poor little thing.

4. alaskachick

alaskachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I know my roo is doing the injury. I have decided to rehome him. I put an ad on craigslist a little while ago. I care about the hen more than the roo so it is not a hard decision to make. I was not planning on hatching chicks so I dont need the roo anyway. Your hens back looks miserable. My chickens back is not that red, but i can see what will happen if I allow the roo to remain.

5. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    Keep her away from everyone else for quite some time. Chickens are cannibals and they'll pick at the wound, and it won't be pretty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by