1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! One of my chickens sounds like a rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dmcanallen, Jun 7, 2011.

1. dmcanallen

dmcanallen New Egg

Jun 7, 2011
    We have three orpingtons in Atlanta GA. Just two weeks ago the oldest started sounding like a rooster and wakes up the neighborhoods each morning and continues to crow loud randomly throughout the day. We are 99% sure she is a "she". Help, what is wrong with her and what can we do to stop the noise before we get a noise violation from the city?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Post a picture of the bird in question and let us tell you if you have a male. Hens make noise, too.

3. bantam0907

bantam0907 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    Well its always possible that she is a he but there is such thing as a hen crowing. Its more sing song than a rooster but its definatly a crow.Some hens do it when there is no rooster present and im guessing since you have the noise violation worries you dont have a rooster. As far as i know there isnt a way to stop it though...

4. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    We'll wait to see the pictures, but my girls make a lot of noise even without the crowing. [​IMG]

5. chickengrandma

chickengrandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    We have a girl that is obnoxiously loud. It isn't crowing - but it is more like screaming. [​IMG] Thank goodness our neighbors think the girls are funny and cute!

So don't give up on "her" yet...she might just be singing!

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree, please post a picture... [​IMG]

7. Sandy16

Sandy16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Atlanta
    We also live in Atlanta and have 2 Buff Orps. They are the loudest hens ever!! Our neighbors have a rooster (shhh! don't turn them in!) and when he crows, our Buffs answer with this god-awful screechy sound. I imagine that pterodactyls had nothing on our girls. Depending on where you are and your neighbors, it might take a lot to top the noise ordinance. If your neighbors get testy, just promise to give them the best eggs ever!!!

welcome to the city chicken club!!
    [​IMG]

8. dmcanallen

dmcanallen New Egg

Jun 7, 2011
    Not the clearest pic but this is my loud girl (or boy). Thanks for your help.
    [​IMG]

9. chickendidwhat

chickendidwhat Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    Hard to tell for sure but the neck feathers look kind of roosterish. That said, we have a number of hens that make all kinds of noise in the morning - not in the afternoon or in the evening, just in the morning.

How old is she/he?

Greg
    www.thissmallfarm.com

10. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    we just have young BO's, never had them otherwise, but that looks a like a rooster to me. its comb is as big as my sussex or my dad's BR roosters' combs

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by