HELP! One of my chicks being picked on

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Zoom Zoom, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Zoom Zoom

Zoom Zoom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2014
    Rolla, MO
    I'm hoping someone can tell me how to help one of my four month old chicks. We have three Buff Orpingtons, three RIRs and one RIR roo. I got them all at the same time when they were 24 hrs old. The smallest RIR (Sweet Pea) is the one in trouble. All three BOs and one RIR are constantly picking on the poor little girl. They knock her off the roost (she does finally end up on the roost), won't let her near treats, pick at her pulling feathers off then eating them (ugh!) and they act in a threatening manner toward her. They get the yard in afternoons (the dog gets it in the morning). When they are out six stay together but Sweet Pea is almost always by herself. They are all together occasionally. She will no longer eat from my hand - she tries to come close but eventually shys away. I've read on BYC to isolate the offender but what do you do with so many? I was told this evening they will keep picking on her until they kill her. This is so sad. Is there anything I can do other than find her a new home?

2. Fly Right

Fly Right Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2014
    You might check their diet. This happened to me when my chicks were a few months old. Mine needed extra protein. I would give them some scrambled eggs everyday for a couple of weeks and the pecking and eating feathers stopped. Good luck.

3. Zoom Zoom

Mar 15, 2014
    Rolla, MO
    Thank you. I'll start being their chef tomorrow. I'd do anything to be able to keep her.

4. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    Are they in a run? You could try hanging a cabbage up, give them a pumpkin or some corn on the cob to keep them busy. Chickens that are busy won't have as much time to be bullies.

5. Zoom Zoom

Mar 15, 2014
    Rolla, MO
    I am happy to report that Sweet Pea is now a fully accepted member of the flock. It was rough going for a while and I spent a lot of time with her building her self confidence (at least that's what I like to think I was doing). I came so close to finding her a new home but am so glad I didn't. She's such a sweetie.

6. arialp

arialp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2014
    Hendersonville, TN
    Glad you were able to find a way to help her stay in the flock :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by