Help one of my girls died suddenly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dmartin, Jul 4, 2010.

1. dmartin

dmartin Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2009
    My 1 yr old RIR hen died, she was fine on Friday, I let them out of the pen sometimes where I get home from work to let them wander and free range, I have 3 hens and they were all happily roaming the yard until nightfall and went in the coop as ususal. Saturday morning I went out and opened the door and always say hello to each one of them as they come out just to make sure all are ok, 2 of them came out but when the other one didn't I went to the back of the coop to open that door and check on her, she was laying dead like she fell off the perch and died. She didn't appear sick at all, was eating ok (I think), I changed from pellets to crumbles (by accident grabbed the wrong bag at the supply store), they had water, I also had oyster shells available, and grit. The only thing I had done different was I ordered worming meds to add to their food cause I thought I seen a worm in some stool and wasn't sure which one may have worms. It is suppose to be all natural and don't even have to stop eating the eggs during use, Verm-x, www.verm-x.com. you use it 3 days in a row each month. I only used it 3 days, Mon, Tue, Wed. and then I loose a hen on Saturday. The other 2 didn't want to go in the coop last night so I checked the coop over real well thinking snake but the only thing in there was a small wasp nest which I knocked down and killed the bees. They have clean water, I did see them munching on some tomatoes I culled from the garden. After I put the 2 hens in the coop to shut the door, one went to the perch and the other one would not go much past the door and settled down there to sleep. They were fine this morning but I'm down to 2 hens and scared to death something may happen to them. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I had the same thing happen to one of my RIR last year - I can't say for sure it was the same as yours, but I realized that birds have the same illnesses and catastrophes as humans do. I came home and she was laying on the floor, looked like she fell off the roost but she was barely alive. I figured stroke. She died within 10 minutes of me finding her. None of my other birds died or got sick. i did nothing different than I usually do.

3. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Hi, same thing happened to me but I had my bird necropsied as I was in shock that she went so suddenly. Turns out she had a tumor on her liver that burst. :–(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by