help one of my girls is acting like an outcast

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrsp523, Sep 18, 2010.

1. mrsp523

mrsp523 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Western Mass
    brief background. Ive got 14 girls and a roo. 9 of the girls are about 4 1/2 months old, the rest just over 5 months. We found our first egg on Monday [​IMG] and a 2nd yesterday (bigger than first). No idea who is laying them. They are free range/coop by night. Today one of the younger of my hens (RIR) was on my front stairs by herself swaking away. I finally got her back to her group who are chillin out on the edge of the woods. As soon as I left...she left again! She is walking around making noise, went back out front hid in some bushes and sat there a bit. (it seems to be where she keeps going back to). But also seems to want to get closer to me. She was last hanging out on my back outside porch (which they hardly ever step on to), and now trying to fly up into our inside porch????
    Should I leave her be? The roo a few times has come out after she gets loud, but she wont go with him so he wattles back to woods crowing a few times. Is this possible egg laying behavior? The 2 eggs we found were in the coop. Or has she been bullied out? They all seem ok with her. It seems that she is the one with the issue not them. I'm worried that she will get lost (can they?) Any help is appreciated as you can tell I am new at this. If my little one was around I would tell her to go hang out with the loner ~ I cant spend my day following her around and returning her to her group. Thanks!![​IMG]

2. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Her behavior reminds me of how my first layer acted before she began laying. She paced up and down and was more vocal than usual. She kept going in and out of the coop, disappearing by herself for long times. Either she is the one that laid the egg or she is soon to lay. The first few times can be very stressful. It just sounds like she is looking for a good place to lay her egg. Of course keep an eye on her but it sounds like she will give you a gift soon.

3. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Is this like teenagers going into their rooms and closing the door? Ha.

I always thought hens didn't lay until 6 mo. old. I have some 4+ mo. old girls and they have been acting very strange lately - this morning one was in the nesting box stomping out a spot in the hay. After a short while she came out squawking like she had just laid an egg. I checked and no egg. I figured she's practicing. Now a couple of my other girls are squawking too. I think they're getting close to laying. I have 4 older hens who didn't start laying until they were 6 mo. old. Maybe the laying hens are encouraging the younger ones to lay.

4. mrsp523

Apr 23, 2010
    Western Mass
    I was told that mix breeds can take up until 6 months but pure breed (is that what they call it in chicken world?) can start as soon as 4, also too depending on breed. I just went to check on her and she is back outside my door in the iris foliage. Just sitting there throwing pieces of foliage and grass on her back. (atleast she is hidden well from any suspicious preditors) Thanks for the feed back! I will just keep my eye on her throughout the day. I was atleast prowd of my young roo with his attempts to bring her back. Do they go broody this young? I'm hoping its more just a young hen with hormones flying, and she will rejoin her group without much fuss!!
    ** Update*** The young girl is sitting on an egg! I looked in to her nice little nest she is creating. From what I have read I dont want to allow this behavior right? Should I take the egg now and try and scoot her to the backyard, and discourage her going back? I'm thinking yes. She did eat when I gave her blueberrys earlier.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  5. LauraG

LauraG Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    oh man-- I'm so glad I found this. My RIR who looks like she is gonna lay her first egg any day now is doing this.

Today I went CRAZY looking for her, gave up, then no sooner I hear some squaking, run out & there she is pecking at the ground (They free range). I didnt see any eggs.

She is definately distancing herself from the group, so I wonder if this is a sign [​IMG]
    She is 20 weeks old..

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  6. mrsp523

Apr 23, 2010
    Western Mass
    I just updated my last post...mine is sitting on an egg! So Thank you to "4luvofeggs" you were right on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by