Help...one of my girls laid an odd egg!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickfamilyonsleepyhollow, Oct 25, 2010.

1. chickfamilyonsleepyhollow

chickfamilyonsleepyhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Today we got seven eggs from our six girls (6 month old red sex links) --- one egg is a jumbo (like the size of a ostrich egg) and one egg has an almost opague shell that is thin and rubbery - the other five eggs were normal ... I'm wondering can a hen lay more than one egg in a day? [​IMG] does a soft shell mean anything and is it edible? [​IMG]

Here's a picture of 3 of the eggs:

[​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It is just fine, don't worry. [​IMG]

When a pullet is just beginning to lay eggs, she can do all sorts of weird things during the beginning of her cycle. That includes soft shells, shell-less eggs, double yolkers, odd shaped eggs, odd color patterns on eggs, etc.

Honestly I've eaten soft shelled eggs and even shell-less eggs before and they were just fine. (Just as long as you eat them soon, as the shell is what protects them from bacterial infections)

3. Speck

Speck New Egg

Oct 26, 2010
    I had a jumbo egg like that last week...ended up having two yolks...the perfect ratio of yolk to whites for having on a piece of toast! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by