Help- One of my hens is an egg eater!

Pepperhen

Hatching
10 Years
May 7, 2009
Is this a chicken phase or do I need to do "relocation"? Also, one of my hens egg shell is week. It looks to have deposits of calcium clumped on the shell. What to do?

My husband had told me that he read on the internet something about tobasco sauce on the shell. I think the remaining shell I guess...spread tobasco sauce on remaining shell and when she gets a taste, she wont do it again. Not had to try it yet though so IDK

But definatly interested in the responses you get in case I ever need it!

th.gif
Mine aren't laying yet, so I've no idea, but hopefully someone else will know! I hope I dont' ever have to deal with that though!

Care of RhodeRunner in diff. catergory...

It is certainly possible. But, if they are there is typically some evidence (sticky nest boxes, little bit of yolk dried on the beak/comb), chickens are typically not the cleanest eaters.

I have had a few egg eaters, and thankfully never had to put one down. To cure they I have used the golf ball technique. With a golf ball in the nest the hens will see that no mater how many times they peck it nothing is coming out. Shortly after they stop trying to eat the eggs.

I also had a hen that was eating eggs, but I was unable to find her nest. In her own time she stopped.

Finding the culprits and separating them from the rest of the flock until they stop eating eggs may be a good idea as it can stop the spreading of this habit.

Some people have said that egg eating comes from lack of nutrients in the birds diet, which I suppose is true. But, you should be able to judge how healthy the birds are (feathers eyes.)

Also, it is typical for the hens to eat the eggs after laid, so if she got eleven then she may not have a problem, or one hen is going in there and snacking later on. Sometimes it is a rooster that is doing the egg munching as well.

Hope she manages to clear up this issue.

Back
Top Bottom